Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BSOD on startup AND windows setup  (Read 2211 times)

RankenTech

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • sexay computer nerd
    BSOD on startup AND windows setup
    « on: October 01, 2007, 09:27:59 AM »
    So a customer brought a laptop into my shop a few days ago. it was getting  a BSOD error, BAD_POOL_CALLER. I thought ok, maybe bad ram. I tested the ram with several versions of memtest. came back fine. I switched it out with a known good stick of ram, still the same thing. then I tested the hard drive with a couple different programs including quicktech pro. came back fine. So, I tried reloading it after I got the customer's permission. when I hit enter at the setup screen to start it, SAME BLUE SCREEN!

What puts a huge kink in this case is the fact that this is a CHINESE version of xp pro. so, the on ly media I have is the one supplied by the customer, which came with the laptop.

It's a compaq presario B2000 laptop. specs are same as from factory.

Anyone have any insight on this? I'm at my wit's end.
    A+
    MCP
    CCNA

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: BSOD on startup AND windows setup
    « Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 06:22:34 PM »
    I am seeing this could be a issue with the CPU or Motherboard rather than the HDD or RAM, I had one machine a while back, where I didn't know it but the CPU fan had stopped (Thank God it was only a AMD K6-2 :P) and when trying to install Win 2000 it would randomly give bluescreens similar to those, BAD_POOL_HEADER and the like, so check that out first :)