Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: i'm trying to change administrators password.....  (Read 3458 times)

Cattiva77

i'm trying to change administrators password.....
« on: October 10, 2007, 01:37:54 PM »
I bought a laptop from a friend of mine, but he has forgotten what the password is even when given the hint.  What can I do to create another administrator account or get the password for his sign in.  The guest sign in has no admin privileges....  Please help :'(

tomshope

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: i'm trying to change administrators password.....
    « Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 06:37:14 PM »
    Forgotten Admin or User's Password
    You do not need to reinstall if you forgot the admin password.

There is a boot disk you can download at:
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

that will let you reset the password of any account on NT4, Windows2000 or XP.

Just follow all the default settings which are for the admin account. Used it many
    times with great success.

They also have a bootable CD image you can download.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 11:43:09 PM »
    Ok Tomshope, I know you're new here but people that ask questions like 'I forgot my admin password, how do I change it' very often are false.

Cattiva77, how do we know you aren't trying to access an Admin account on a computer at a hotel or school.

school has definitely started...

jimyan

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 12:41:35 AM »
      Sometimes you just need to reinstall OS to fix the problem, that thing is already yours so why not just cleaning it? If you are resourceful enough, you can find some toolCD to fix that.

contrex

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 12:57:30 AM »
      that thing is already yours

You know that for sure do you?

Not wishing to cast any accusations around, but the last time anyone asked me this type of question was a guy who I used to know from way back, he moved into a house opposite me a few years ago. He came up to me in the street and it was like "Hey, I remember you! You used to fix computers, didn't you? Well, maybe you could help me with my Sony Vaio [produces expensive laptop in plastic supemarket bag]. Those pesky kids of mine (aged 2 and 4!) managed to change the BIOS password! Oh dear, I never wrote it down!" etc etc. I expect they managed to change the HDD password as well... I told him it was a 10 minute job on the phone to Sony if you had the sales receipt. Guess what? He lost interest.

Anyway, the next time I saw this guys face was on the front page of the Bristol Evening Post. "Police Find Aladdins Cave of Drugs And Stolen Property". He was supplying crack and heroin to junkies who would burgle, rob, mug and steal to get goods to barter for drugs. His house was full of laptops, DVD players, mountain bikes, sat-navs, all sorts of stuff.

So that so very cheap laptop could be part of ruining somebody's life, or making a disgusting parasite richer, or terrifying and distressing innocent victims, or all of those things.

Shynnie

Intermediate

• "All I want is his whereabouts, then I'm rich"..!!
        « Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 01:02:36 AM »
        Thats true controx and carbon. Since he got the information he was looking for lets hope its not for bad use. (computer hope)
        =============================================================

"those who know how will always work 4 those who know why"

“the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence”