Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reformatting a hard drive... when you've got a broken CD drive?!  (Read 3667 times)

Beast3000

My elderly Compaq Presario has had to be draughted into use as an extra computer for email/word processing purposes.  It's rather slow nowadays, so I wanted to format the hard drive and reinstall the operating system.  Buuuuuuut - although I have the installation CDs, both CD-ROM drives on the computer are refusing to function.  They both make funny clicking noises as they struggle to read a CD, but never manage to.

Anyone got any thoughts on how to get round this?  Either with something clever that means I don't need to use the CD drives, (I wouldn't need to use them once the hard drive has been reformatted) or maybe an idea why the CD drives ain't working?

Any advice much appreciated.

Beast3000

Re: Reformatting a hard drive... when you've got a broken CD drive?!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 11:01:13 AM »
Sorry - never posted on a tech forum before.  Computer details:

Compaq Presario
533 MHz AMD-K6
512MB RAM
Windows 98SE

Dunno if that helps.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 02:46:46 PM »
CDRoms don't normally make a clicking noise...that sounds like the hard drive is failing instead...
What's probably happening is because it's an older version of Windows if it does not run normally the CDRom drivers are not recognised...
Pull that HDD out and hook it up into a known working machine as a slave drive and try to retrieve your data...
Be prepared before doing so ...you may only get one chance.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 04:04:22 PM »
I've never had clicking problem with my computer CD drives, but it happened to me with regular (standalone) CD player. It was always a case of home made CDs, though. In some cases lens cleaning CD helped.
On the other hand, if it that sound comes from HD, patio is totally right.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 03:19:17 AM »
Definately sounds like a HDD issue...however...I have had CD drives that would make sort of clicking noises...not like the dry HDD clicks, but rather dull sounding, is it more of a thump then a click? I think your best option is to retrieve your data off another...It's too bad your restore disks (I believe 99%) wont work in another comp as Compaq normally lock their restore disks to their own systems...(Learnt my lesson with an old old old Presario 2200...If you have another machine, swap a working CD drive into it to complete the reinstall and then swap back :)

Kurtis

contrex

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 04:01:52 AM »
If you are trying to boot from a CD, having set that option in the BIOS, Windows drivers are neither here nor there.

I have been using and fixing (until they got so cheap it wasn't worth it) optical drives for 10 years. I have definitely had both CD and DVD drives that made clicking noises. These reasons mainly:

1. Bad disk: the read/write laser moves back and forth along a plastic track and if the laser cannot lock on to the "table of contents" section at the start of the disk, or if it did, but later, during a data read it "loses its place" due to dirt or scratches, it will vainly seek back and forth until the firmware timeout expires (or in a bad case it will lock up the OS and you have to press the reset button). The clicking you hear is the laser carrier hitting the ends of the track.

2. Dried up lube on the aforementioned track. When the CD-ROM drive is made, a glob of silicone lube is smeared along the track. With time this gets carried along to the ends of the track where it accumulates in ridges mixed up with dirt and dust. This can limit the travel of the laser carrier and prevent it from locking on to the disk properly. This can happen after about 5 to 7 years of use, or a few years of storage.

3. Bad read sensor or dirty lens. The drive gets no reflected signal from the disk and whacks the read head back and forth vainly like situation (1) above.

4. Bad read laser or dirty lens ditto.

I would verify that the disk or disks work in another computer, that is, at least can be read in Windows Explorer without undue hesitation and without too many clicks and whirrs.

new CD-ROM drives are 15 US dollars from Tiger Direct. CD Rewriter drives are 20 US dollars.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 04:24:48 AM by contrex »

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 09:16:27 AM »
If I'm correct, when it's HD clicking, it goes more constantly, like:
click, click, click, click
With CD drive, it's more like:
click...looking...click...looking...cli ck

Beast3000

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 05:44:51 AM »
Cheers guys.

I'm pretty certain it's not the HDD.  The noise definitely comes from the CD drives and is intermittent - like it's trying to read the disk. I'll have a swap around with my other PC, but I reckon I'll end up having to buy another CD drive.

Thanks for your help.