Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP file extension association  (Read 8199 times)

Ryan McDivitt

Windows XP file extension association
« on: December 07, 2004, 10:07:10 PM »
In the midst of trying to change a file extension, I've run into a problem I can't fix.  I did get the file extension changed from txt to exe (this turned out to be pretty simple, but after the damage was done), but now my problem is that I can no longer open most files from my desktop, such as calculator, Norton Anitvirus, palm desktop, adobe, etc and they all have the exe extension now.  It's basically double click and nothing happens.  I know I did something in the folder options to make all this happen, like trying to create a new extension (exe) in file types, which I deleted right afterward.  Not sure what to do.

cjkgmgod

Re: Windows XP file extension association
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 01:43:13 AM »
Have you tried restoring your OS to an ealier time before you changed the extensions?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 01:50:33 AM by cjkgmgod »

tallyman

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 04:03:52 AM »
This may sound silly but I assume it isn't the shortcuts on your desktop which you've changed to .exe files because these aren't programs, they are just ...shortcuts, which would explain why nothing happens when you click on them.  Sorry if I'm insulting your intelligence by this suggestion, but I've seen stranger things done.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 04:04:34 AM by tallyman »

MalikTous

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 10:40:26 AM »
You managed to crunch the entry for EXE in your registry. Best bet is to use System Recovery to go to the last save point before you snagged it, assuming you use XP, or boot to DOS in Win9x and run

scanreg /fix

or

scanreg /restore

to fix a Win9x registry.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 01:23:19 PM »
Reboot pc and hold down the f8 on boot and chose the last good config........files explained more here>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q307859/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 01:26:48 PM by merlin_2 »

Ryan McDivitt

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 10:50:58 PM »
I tried to do system restore - start menu/accessories/system tools/system restore but when I clicked on it, nothing happened.
So I tried the reboot, f8, last good config and that didn't change things.  I still cannot use an executable file.  Any other ways to do system restore than through the startup menu?

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 06:30:42 AM »
    Does it affect all exe or just on the desktop? Try to load an exe program using start > run. if it works that way then it probably means your computer has the exe extention set up incorrectly.

Ryan McDivitt

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 09:54:29 PM »
    It's affecting all exe, I tried the start/run and I get a pop up that says windows cannot open this file, etc

How do I set up the exe extension correctly?

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 12:51:57 PM »
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814510  read more just in case...

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 03:18:23 PM »
      Go in folder options and look at file types. Search for application.

Ryan McDivitt

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2004, 08:56:30 PM »
      Problem sovled!  I used this website to fix my broken EXE association http://filext.com/info/showthread.php?t=12

Thanks to all for your help, and hope this helps anyone else who makes the same mistake