Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help with windows xp mce!  (Read 10342 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: help with windows xp mce!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 05:29:44 PM »
That would be 20 DVD's on a dual-layer burner...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

eman619

Topic Starter

Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 05:38:23 PM »
    yeah, that's a lot of dual layered dvds I don't have.  so might as well buy another 300gb drive, install a new copy of windows and use the other one for storage.  I will never mess with partition magic again.  IT SUCKS!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 07:31:55 PM »
    I'll agree and disagree at the same time.
    Anytime i have used it after the fact to re-size/move or create new partitions i have had problems...
    The key to partitioning strategies is to do it before the fact i.e. before any OS is installed...for those purposes i find FDisk more than adequate but i'll probably get laughed at here...
    I've even backed up a dual-boot system and wiped both drives and started over to get things situated the way i wanted because i was adding another drive and a Linux distro as well....more work but that machine still purrs like a kitten.
    I've had people say they were able to re-size partitions and move them etc. with no loss of data but i've also had people tell me their 8 cylinder pickup gets 32 miles to the gallon on the freeway...you get my drift.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

contrex

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007, 12:57:43 AM »
    Anytime i have used it after the fact to re-size/move or create new partitions i have had problems...
    The key to partitioning strategies is to do it before the fact i.e. before any OS is installed...for those purposes i find FDisk more than adequate but i'll probably get laughed at here...

Not by me. I agree with you 100% as well. I have sucessfully resized partitions that had data on them e.g. I increased my XP system primary partition from 10 to 15 GB a few months ago, and I shrunk a 140 GB secondary partition to 120 so I could make ones for SuSe and its swap. BUT I wouldn't dream of doing anything like that unless I have either Ghosted or otherwise duplicated (e.g. burned) the data involved. I have had too many cases where something went wrong to take any chances.

That means, realistically, that any time I have more data and/or OS than alternative places to put it, I do not have the flexibility to make changes that I may need and also I'm vulnerable to data loss.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 02:24:25 AM by contrex »

eman619

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 07:04:02 PM »
      Ok, I just bought a 500gb western digital WD5000AAKS hard drive. I intend to install windows vista premium on it.  How do you guys recommend I set it up.  should I create 2 partitions before I install windows, and should I copy my corrupted hard drive to the new one? One thing to point out is that my corrupted drive is like 2 or 3 months old, so it's in very good shape.  Any  Suggestions would really help, thanks.

Shynnie

Intermediate

• "All I want is his whereabouts, then I'm rich"..!!
        « Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 12:34:34 AM »
        HI Eman 619

I'll advice you that before you install anything in your new 500GB HD partition it first into 2 parts, that puts you on a safe side. After you have partitioned it then install OS on the partition of your choice. After this is done reinstall your old HD and as a slave and then you can start the copy and move of your files. After this, then you will want to format your old HD, then you will want to partition it again into two parts.

If i were you that's what i would do, cause this HD crush alot and its better to loose one partition then the whole HD. I have a corrupted HD that i cant install any OS but I'm using it as my slave to store data in it and it works fine.

Good luck dude. 500 + 300 = 800GB for what.
        =============================================================

"those who know how will always work 4 those who know why"

“the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence”

eman619

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 02:49:43 AM »
          Yeah I split the 500gb ito half, installed windows on the new one and am using my old one as a slave.  Everything is working fine. why the 800gb.? Well I saw a 300 for like $110 and the 500 for $130, so I said what the heck.  Also that way I have 2 240gb partitions, which is pretty cool.  Thanks for all the advise though!