Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Old Laptop Slow Startup  (Read 14759 times)

KWP

Old Laptop Slow Startup
« on: October 16, 2007, 02:41:48 PM »
I have an old Dell Latitude 3.02 gig HD laptop with Windows 2000 Pro, SP4. I only have Avast and minimal office utilities. I only use it occasionally, but it does start very slow. I've tried Mike Lin's StartupCPL, and stopped "mobsync.exe/logon". "SysTray.Exe" and "rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\system32:ufjcxsh.dll,init 1", are two other programs in the HKLM. I am guessing that "SysTray.exe" are program files, but a google search does not turn up "rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\system32:ufjcxsh.dll,init 1". "rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\system32:ufjcxsh.dll,init 1" also turns up in the StartupCPL Run Once tab. There are no other startup files. Thank you in advance for your help.

dairyman

Re: Old Laptop Slow Startup
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 07:34:01 PM »
Have you tried using Disk Defragmenter??

KWP

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 09:10:05 AM »
Yes, thank you. I have done disk cleanup and defrag. I was wondering specifically about the "SysTray.Exe" and "rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\system32:ufjcxsh.dll,init 1". They are two other programs in the HKLM. I am guessing that "SysTray.exe" are program files, but a google search does not turn up "rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\system32:ufjcxsh.dll,init 1". "rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\system32:ufjcxsh.dll,init 1" also turns up in the StartupCPL Run Once tab. There are no other startup files.

dairyman

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 07:29:43 PM »
I am guessing that "SysTray.exe" are program files, but a google search does not turn up "rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\system32:ufjcxsh.dll,init 1"

I would then recommend you run a spyware scan.
Here are some antispyware programs:

Spybot Search & Destroy
AVG Free Antispyware
Ad-Aware Personal Edition

Install one of these products, boot into Safe Mode and run a scan with the program you installed.

Instructions for getting into Safe Mode can be found here.

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
    « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 09:21:37 PM »
    Systray, is the program that cont5rols the icons next to the clock. I agree with dairyman that it is just full of rubbish. Try system mechanic. It will clean your whole system.

KWP

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 11:22:45 AM »
    Thank you very much Dairyman and Programming_Pat. I did try ccleaner, but not in the safe mode. I will try one of the spyware programs and report back.

kwp

KWP

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 09:04:08 AM »
    Here is a little history. This is an old laptop that was my son's in high school. When I started, it did not have anti-virus or spy-ware detection. I deleted a lot of junk, and attempted to download AVG. It did not have enough resources, so I downloaded Avast. Avast found 261 viruses. I then downloaded Ad-Aware, but it would hang due to low resources. I tried CCleaner and it found a few items. Since my last post, I have attempted Ad-Aware again, but it still hung. Then tried AVG spy-ware. It found Backdoor.Afcore in the system files. I deleted it and ran again in safe mode with a clean scan. Avast also gives a clean scan. However, when booting now, I get a RUNDLL, Error loading  C:\WINDOWS\system32:ufjcxsh.dll. The specified module could not be found. There is a click OK box, then boot continues. It still boots very slow, and I do acknowledge that it is very old, low on resources, and Avast slows it down. Should I try SpyBot in safe mode? Thank you for your interest and help.

KWP

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 09:09:35 AM »
    I forgot to mention in my previous post, that I did try System Mechanic as suggested by Programming_Pat, but I could not get it to download and run due to low virtual memory. I have had to try one fix at a time due to low resources. Thanks again.

KWP

dairyman

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 05:57:23 PM »
    I forgot to mention in my previous post, that I did try System Mechanic as suggested by Programming_Pat, but I could not get it to download and run due to low virtual memory. I have had to try one fix at a time due to low resources. Thanks again.

KWP

Doesn't sound good.

How much memory does it have?
    Take a look at this page.

dairyman

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 05:58:40 PM »
    Double the maximum size of the page file and see what you get.

KWP

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 09:58:41 PM »
    Thank you Dairyman. The page size was 96 / 192. I changed it to 190 / 390. I ran spybot in safe mode, and it found Alexa (replace file), AntiSpywareBOT (registry key), CoolWWWSearch.WCADW (registry change 2 entries), BlueStreak (cookie), CoreMetrics (cookie), DoubleClick (cookie), MediaPlex (cookie 3 entries), and Zedo (cookie). It does seem to run better with the larger page size, but I am down to 371 free space. Should I try to remove anything else? Thank you for your help.

KWP

KWP

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 10:02:28 PM »
    I just reread your post, and I noticed that you said to double the maximum number. Should I have left the other number at 96? Thanks for your interest and help.

KWP

KWP

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 10:08:19 PM »
    I removed the 11 problems with Spybot. I still get the RUNDLL, Error loading  C:\WINDOWS\system32:ufjcxsh.dll when booting. The specified module could not be found. There is a click OK box, then boot continues. Thanks.

KWP

dairyman

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 03:12:18 AM »
    I just reread your post, and I noticed that you said to double the maximum number. Should I have left the other number at 96? Thanks for your interest and help.

KWP

Leave the '96'. If you still have problems change it to a number like '50'.
    « Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 03:24:00 AM by dairyman »

dairyman

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 03:21:43 AM »
    Thank you Dairyman. The page size was 96 / 192. I changed it to 190 / 390. I ran spybot in safe mode, and it found Alexa (replace file), AntiSpywareBOT (registry key), CoolWWWSearch.WCADW (registry change 2 entries), BlueStreak (cookie), CoreMetrics (cookie), DoubleClick (cookie), MediaPlex (cookie 3 entries), and Zedo (cookie). It does seem to run better with the larger page size, but I am down to 371 free space. Should I try to remove anything else? Thank you for your help.

KWP

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup
    Click on the More Options tab, and under 'System Restore', click on Clean Up.

Then go to Start > Settings > Control Panel and double click on 'Add/Remove Programs'. Uninstall all the programs you don't need anymore.

That should get some valuable disk space back.