Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Timestamps change when syncronizing local files with a network drive  (Read 2508 times)

Stefan

When synchronize my local hard drive with my network drive (Maxtor Shared Storage II) the timestamps of the files on the network drive are changed to the time of copying. Thus I end up with all files backed up being newer than the files on the local drive. This is quite annoying because my synchronizer (GoodSync V6) uses the "last changed" timestamp as reference. This problem does not appear when synchronizing my local HD with other external drives (USB sticks, CF and SD memory cards, image tank (FAT32) and my older external HD (NTFS))

I contacted the Maxtor Support and they told me that they cannot do anything about it as the MSSII drives uses Linux file structure.  This surpises me: am I the only one with this problem?

How can I copy to my network drive keeping the copied files' timestamps unchanged? As far as I know under UNIX this is possible with "cp --preserve". But how can I tell my network drive to do so as the rest of my system is running under XP?

Or let me put it the other way around: how do UNIX users synchronize their drives?

Harddrive: Maxtor Shared Storage II 1TB
NTFS formatted, running under RAID1 (500 GB), connected with LAN at 100 Mbit/s through DSL Modem/Router AVM Fritz!Box WLAN
Computer: Medion MD96097, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, Notebook connected to network through cable (100 Mbit/s), local HD's NTFS formatted
copy commands tried: synchronizer "GoodSync V6", Windows Explorer