Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: power supply....  (Read 2736 times)

boredom113

Topic Starter

Beginner
    power supply....
    « on: October 19, 2007, 12:55:14 PM »
    I think this is the right place to ask this....i have a guardian ATX power supply with an MSI core cell motherboard...The power supply just kinda died while i was using it....i took in the power supply and bought a new one of the same thing and it did the exact same thing!! anybody know what could be wrong? ???
    : )+<Mike>+( :    : )+<Mike>+( :     : )+<Mike>+( :    : )+<Mike>+( :    : )+<Mike>+( :     : )+<Mike>+( :     : )+<Mike>+( :

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: power supply....
    « Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 01:04:01 PM »
    Although it's not impossible for two PSU's to fail in the same computer it is a little suspicious. My immediate thought is that maybe it's possible your either encountering surges and/or other power brown outs that are causing it to fail prematurely.

I'd suggest getting a different surge protector (preferably a higher quality one), not a cheap one that you find on the shelf at a grocery store and/or if it's in the budget maybe a UPS with a surge protection.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 03:50:16 PM »
    I'd also look at other PSU brands...i believe guardian's are Chinese budget units and not all that reliable.
    A decent PSU depending on wattage and features should start at about 40 bucks and up.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

boredom113

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 06:18:02 PM »
      can anyone reccomend a good power supply?
      : )+<Mike>+( :    : )+<Mike>+( :     : )+<Mike>+( :    : )+<Mike>+( :    : )+<Mike>+( :     : )+<Mike>+( :     : )+<Mike>+( :

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 06:20:50 PM »
      I personally don't make recommendations. What I suggest is instead read the reviews of power supplies on popular pages such as NewEgg.

Link to their PSU page

That's just my thought, other users are free to give you their recommendations.
      Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
      -Albert Einstein

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 11:10:56 PM »
      PC Power and Cooling

One of my reference sites...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "