Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Problems  (Read 3512 times)

Beedub245

Topic Starter

Beginner

Video Problems
    « on: October 18, 2007, 02:47:56 PM »
    I have what must be a difficult problem.  My browser freezes when I try to view hosted(?)video.  I can watch video from a direct site such as (cbs,abc,espn,etc..), but when I try to watch video from a site that displays user content such as (youtube,stage6 tudou, etc..) my browser locks up and nothing happens.  Then after closing my browser I am not able to reconnect without restarting.  I have scrubbed my computer free of all virus and malware infections and am still unable to solve this problem. Any help will be appreciated.  This happens on both IE and FireFox.  I have cleared all files from both browsers and have had no luck.  It would be simple enough to just avoid these sites, but this kind of video shows up all over the place and whenever one begins to load it is like stepping on a landmine and I have to restart.  Please Help.

frosthps

Re: Video Problems
    « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 02:53:21 PM »
    this might sound stupid but do you have the latest updates from microsoft and flash player 9 /java runtime installed?

Beedub245

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 03:15:23 PM »
      All of my upates seem to be in order.  Everything was fine a week ago and then all of a sudden this started happening.  I only made two changes in this time. 1)Installed Netflix Viewer.  2)I optimized some setting that seemed to suggest that my browser would find the optimum port for connection speeds.  I do not know if this has caused the problem.  I have uninstalled the Netflix, but that did not help.  I can not get back to the place that I optimized my port, so I can not change that.  I am just hoping that someone will tell me that there is a difference in these two kinds of video and that the problem is...  So that I can at least begin to solve it or understand what is happening.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 04:29:40 PM »
      My first thought was getting updates as well. However, if you're up-to-date and this is something that has just recently started happening you may want to try restoring XP (assuming that's what you're using) back to an earlier copy.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000589.htm
      Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
      -Albert Einstein

Beedub245

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 11:01:23 PM »
        I am using XP and I did try that, but after it restarted it told me that nothing had been changed.  I went back almost  month and it said the same thing.  It just seems odd to me that it is not all video and it is both browsers, and whatever goes wrong is reset by restart.  So that seems to me that there is a setting misconfigured for this certain kind of video.  Does anyone know how the teo kinds of video is different?

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Computer Hope
        « Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 10:27:26 AM »
        Try downloading the Flash uninstall program. Uninstall flash from your computer and then try re-installing it.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157
        Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
        -Albert Einstein

Beedub245

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 12:57:44 PM »
          Here is an update... I got onto a wireless network from my laptop and everything worked fine.  Everything was as should be.  Problem is, that it's not my network and it's very slow anyways.  So, what that means is that it ahs to be somewhere in my  LAN settings right?  I have it narrowed to a very fine point.  Network setting that causes browsers to crash only on user generated video.  I tried reinstalling flash, java, and updating all my drivers and that did not help.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Computer Hope
          « Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 12:59:53 PM »
          When you say you've reinstalled flash does that mean you ran the steps I mentioned earlier for unisntalling it first and then reinstalling it?
          -Albert Einstein

Beedub245

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 01:56:29 PM »
            Yeah I followed your instructions.  But, the thing is that after I signed on to that wireless network and then back onto my standard network whatever was wrong is for the moment cured.  So, I guess whatever setting of the LAN that had been wrong, was fixed by the settings of the WLAN.  For the moment all is well.  Thank you all.  I am sure I will be back when this thing collapses.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Computer Hope
            « Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 03:04:56 PM »
            Thanks for the follow up and it's good to hear all is well. Hopefully it will remain that way. :)
            -Albert Einstein