Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't populate Software List?!?  (Read 2732 times)

psb

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Can't populate Software List?!?
    « on: November 02, 2007, 04:15:05 PM »
    I have an almost 11-month old Dell Inspiron 6400 with Windows XP, SP2. I have been using an optical cordless mouse (with full driver installation done) but have accidently removed the USB connection few days ago. After i've plugged it back immediately, the notebook keeps claiming that the hardware has not been installed properly. As such, I am unable to use the mouse since.

More trouble came when I've decided to check out the control panel's software list, just to be sure that my installation is still there. The screen keeps getting stuck with the population in progress message and it doesn't get any further no matter how long i've tried to wait. Not sure if i have done anything wrong, being a computer newbie...  :'(

I'm currently using Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007. Hope someone can help me soon, thanks alot!!!  :)

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Can't populate Software List?!?
    « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 09:37:25 PM »
    accidently removed the USB connection few days ago
    How?

Did you try System Restore?

psb

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 04:10:59 AM »
      Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I've tried System Restore to the point in time before the incident, unfortunately that does not help.

I've accidently removed the connection (plug) of my optical mouse from the USB port when I was trying to plug in my printer. As I have limited USB ports, I'll have to exchange equipments sometimes. For example, I would usually not connect my printer to the notebook unless I need to print something. Normally I would have left the USB plug to the optical mouse alone since I need a mouse when I'm using the notebook, but for this particular time, I've plugged out the wrong connection...  :-[

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 10:00:13 AM »
      In most cases simply disconnecting USB device shouldn't cause a problem, but sometimes it does, if you don't use "Safely Remove Hardware" icon from your taskbar. I assume, it may be a problem with a device like mouse, because Windows constantly interacts with mouse, and unless you use "Safely Remove Hardware", Windows is not aware, that you're about to disconnect your mouse.
      What you may try is to go to Device Manager, uninstall your mouse, restart your laptop, and hopefully Windows will find it again.

As for your Add/Remove problem, you may try this:
      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329891&Product=win2000
      It's listed as for Windows 2000, but all three mentioned files are the same in XP, so it should work.
      If it doesn't, restart your laptop in Safe Mode, and see if your Add/Remove list will populate there.

psb

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 05:17:03 AM »
        Thanks again for your reply. I've uninstalled my mouse from Device Manager and reinstalled it again, now it works perfectly like before! Many, many thanks!!!  ;D

As for the populating the software list, I've got it done via the Safe Mode method. Now it's alright, except that the populating time takes up to 10 or 15 minutes. Do you think it is normal to take so long to populate the list?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 06:36:52 AM »
        No that is not normal.
        From Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools run disk clean.
        Then go to Start/Run and run ckkdsk /r...let it run to completion.
        Then from the first menu i mentioned run Disk Defrag.
        Shut down and re-boot and see if there is any improvement...
        If not then run all your protection program scans, let them fix what they find and post back with a list of what you ran.
        It's alot i know but it will eliminate some of the possibilities...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 11:07:36 PM »
        I was busy, fixing my own machine, but I'm glad, at least your mouse problem is fixed.

psb

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 06:41:03 AM »
          Thanks for all the help, now the list can be populated within 2 minutes! It's really amazing that i can overlook even such simple steps to resolve the problem... Big thanks to all!!!  :D

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 09:19:56 AM »
          2 minute is still a long time, unless you have there quiet a bit of a list.
          Better, then 10 minutes, though 8) 8) 8)