Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 95  (Read 15560 times)

dark_eyed_angel

Windows 95
« on: December 16, 2004, 10:15:25 PM »
First it said that the himen.sys was corrupted or missing.  I fixed that.  Now it says that the Logical Block Address Setting is wrong.  Where do I find this to correct it?  Please... ???

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: Windows 95
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 01:44:18 AM »
    How exactly did you fix himen.sys? What virus scanner and firewall do you use? Have you made any changes to your computer's settings recently?

I would suggest reinstalling 95. It should be possible to install over the top and not lose your current data.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 10:20:31 AM »
    boot pc and hold down del key >>>bios is the autodetect hard drive enabled if not enable it....or chose setup defaults.......or run this command>>SCANDISK C: /SURFACE /NOSAVE /AUTOFIX   at the A:\ prompt......l

Neil

Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 01:29:22 PM »
      Dark eyed angel, I am posting your message to me so others can help:
      "Hi Neil, I fixed the himem with a start up disk from windows 98.  But now I can't even get thru by scandisk because it freeezes up on config.msi and I don't know what to do.  I just had planned to get this up and running for my kids.  I thought of just formatting it?  But I've never done it before.  I would give you the specs but I never get to the desktop.  

Thank you Neil,

Angel Wink"

Neil

Expert
        « Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 01:30:20 PM »
        Do you have a Windows 95 CD and startup disk? I don't think 98 disks will work. You can get a bootdisk for 95 from here.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
        « Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 01:31:31 PM by Neil »

dark_eyed_angel

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 01:38:44 PM »
        Yes, and thank YOU Neil!  I have the Windows 95 cd rom.  Also, I don't know if this will help, when I made the start up disk when I put in Windows 95 - I think it's not usable.  I've tried to start up with the disk, but it says sector not found on c .  So, if possible, can we just format it all together, and start from scratch?  I do not have  an Operating System CD or a Restore CD, I have the licensing and and OEM numbers, I do not have any floppys just the cd.  I cannot back up the info on the hard drive, cause..........It's not there, lol. and again, I don't think I have a good bootable disk.

Again, THANK YOU for all your help and anyone that helps!  Trying to get this up and running for my kids before Christmas.  Don't have alot of money, or I'd give them mine, but I have a broken back, temporarily disabled at the time (gee hopefullly temporarily) and I picked up Photography while I'm just here.  I have alot on this computer not the one that has trouble.  Just want to make a clean slate, just like I'm trying with my life and the kids, just us, no man around - LOL!

Angel ;)

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 01:39:33 PM »
        Did you change the lba.....in the bios setup??

and more info>>double whammy

http://www.netpathway.com/~kramer/reinstall.html

http://www.hildrum.com/re_install_win95.htm

and  if you get fed up slap the kids....NO! just joking... ;D

dark_eyed_angel

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 01:46:00 PM »
        I've been trying to get into the bios, but haven't yet, even when it was working!!  Tried every F key possible, is it because it's a Compac Presario????  

I also had another hard drive in this system.  And it did not recognize the other hard drive.

Oh yeah - funny Neil ---  I do, HA!!!  Just kidding -  They go to their father's house and he has a BRAND SPANKIN NEW Dell so they are always on the computer there - just want them to be able to be on this one also.

Thank you for all your help, even with the kids, lol,

Angel

Neil

Expert
          « Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 01:54:46 PM »
          Do you want to erase the computer's harddrive and start over again? You'll need the 95 cd ready.

Follow these instructions.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000186.htm

Before you do that try a reinstall. Insert a 95 boodisk and restart the computer. At the command promt type x: where x is the letter of your cd drive, eg

d:

then try typing setup. Does that work?

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 02:06:54 PM »
          You have star treatment tonight......the computeers are here lmao......the bios key is f10 ....hold the key and start-up pc......black screen  .....yes.....now look for the setup defaults sometimes the f9 key.......ok.....this should sort out the LBA  problem......neil now takes over.......>exit stage left ;D

Computer_Commando

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 02:07:06 PM »
          I've been trying to get into the bios, but haven't yet, even when it was working!!  Tried every F key possible, is it because it's a Compac Presario???? ...

Yup!  It's because it's a Compaq; I've had plenty of those older ones.  Some take several minutes to bring up the BIOS on their own (i.e., when adding a 2nd hard drive) and others have a hidden partition on the hard drive where BIOS is stored.  If F-keys don't work, hidden partition is missing or damaged.

I'd be careful about formatting it, unless the Win95 disk is the one that came with the Compaq.  Does the Compaq boot to a floppy disk?  If yes, at least it has some kind of "boot order" programmed somewhere.  Some Win95 Compaq's had a special Win95 boot floppy disk.

What model Presario?  Special disks might be available on Compaq (now HP) website.
          « Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 02:14:50 PM by Computer_Commando »

dark_eyed_angel

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 02:36:10 PM »
          Oh GEEZ, now it says: Sector not found reading Drive C!!!!

Oh Help, help this damsel in distressed all my Knights in Shining Armor!!!

Neil

Expert
            « Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 02:37:32 PM »
            I think the computer's had it. When booting up how far does it get before this happens?

merlin_2

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2004, 02:41:09 PM »
            Scandisk   Scandisk/ all or Scandisk/fix after the A:\prompt   try them .....now  a blue screen....yes....or change the hard drive jumpers to master or cable select....the plastic white thing....but you will have to power off and unplug pc from the power source to do this .....!.if unsure!.......grab a cup of coffee and put your feet up and think.....can i take the case of......this..no!/yes! i have done this before.....dont attempt this if you are unsure..ESD...... use one hard drive as its possible one maybe faulty....who knows.....

is this it>compaq presario 9500 series
            120 mhz pentium,16 mb ram

if so it will not load win98.....32mb of ram win98..needs?
            « Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 02:53:53 PM by merlin_2 »

dark_eyed_angel

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2004, 03:55:10 PM »
            Hi!  There is no other hard drive anymore.  I was thinking........ I know - "OH NO!  SHE'S THINKING!!  WATCH OUT!"  LOL

I would rather just refomatted the whole kit and kaboddle!!!  I have some directions from http://www.hildrum.com/re_install_win95.htm

Can I just install 98SE instead of starting with 95?  

Oh yes, sorry, one more thing - do all DOS commands go all windows or there are some for 95???  Because I made the bottable on the floppy and a friend was here - and he tried to use DOS commands to get the floppy to work and all the commands were invalid .

THANK YOU for being so patient for me!

Hugs to all of you!!!!

Angel