Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: motherboard burnout  (Read 2245 times)

WEL710

motherboard burnout
« on: November 17, 2007, 07:06:15 PM »
I had a gateway computer. i tried to install a stick of ram It was not combatible it burn out my mthrbrd. I ordered a AMD 3500+ processor with a new mthrbrd. The hard I had had windowsxp home edition on it and is still in tack. When I get the components and get them assembled I would love to plug in my hard drive and boot up to it and continuing using my WinXP home Edition and all the or\\programs i had on the disk without having to install another OS and use the old drive as a slave. It\s this going to be possible? What do I have to do? an\\Any help will be appreciated. Thks Edward ( <email removed>)
I am Edward and I live in Griffin,Ga.

Email removed to prevent SPAM -Zylstra
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 08:04:31 PM by Zylstra »

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: motherboard burnout
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 08:03:33 PM »
It can be possible, however:
Sometimes it will not, simply since its a big change in hardware.
Your system already knows how to use its current hardware, and will attempt to boot like its using the same hardware, therefor, a complete change (usually the motherboard change is the biggest problem) may result in it  not being able to be used

Still, some other things need to be considered:
Do you really want to go without doing a complete cleanup? Using your current instalation, which by now, is probably cluttered. You should start new with a new computer, to make sure everything is running as fast as possible.
Do you really want to use a old hard drive? Your getting a new computer, with a hard drive in it. Why not set up your old drive as a secondary (sometimes called a Slave drive), an the new one as primary. This way, you have access to your old stuff (and can copy it to the new drive) and you can use the second drive for backing up stuff.

So, the answer to your question:
It might be possible. It just depends

Second question:
You added new RAM to your old computer, and it fried the motherboard? I dont think this is possible. Incompatible RAM will just prevent the computer from booting, or will result in random BSOD errors
I think you might have fried it. Next time you open up your computer, follow these precautions:
http://www.computerhope.com/esd.htm