Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Stuffed Up..  (Read 2233 times)

mouse

Computer Stuffed Up..
« on: November 24, 2007, 08:42:18 PM »
I really need some advice on what to do!  ???   I just got a computer from a friend which is a P4 2.6ghz, 512 RAM, 80GB Hard drive, ATI 9200 (Or something with a 9 at the start)

This is how I messed it all up... :(

So I turned on the computer and it came up with Linux, sabayon installed... I turned off the pc and inserted a win 98 SE cd to reformat it.. rebooted and I went through the menus until I came to the Win 98 setup, I went through some more options until I came to reformatting when it suddenly froze  :o. I restarted and tried again only this time reaching the second menu of 98's setup...
I continued to reboot and try it again for 10-15 mins..  :-\  I then thought I could move my old hdd (Which had 98 installed, [but was only 4GB ]to  reformat it that way) But unfortunately the computer could not find my Linux hdd once booted ???.

I thought I might have to get some drivers for my mother board / gpu (Which are both MSI ) I got onto the MSI site and downloaded MSI live update which I ran straight away. It found that I  had a Bios update or something so I quickly downloaded and tired to run it..... It said something about bios flash memory or any thing along those lines.

I then accidentally bumped my pc power cord which switch to power off. I plugged every back in and tried to reboot, only to find the screen not respond :o

Since then I have not been able to get my PC work with any screen. I have changed the graphic cards around with a Nvidia one as well I have changed the cmos battery .

Btw; I have not heard any beeps,
The computer sounds normal
Hardrives and dvd drive working normal

What I think has happened is while flashing something, I may have corrupted the something  :-\ Causing the screen not to show any thing.

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated  ;D

GX1_Man

Re: Computer Stuffed Up..
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 09:45:24 PM »
If you lost power during a BIOS flash, that motherboard is probably history.

There really was no reason to do that, and if you are unfamiliar with the art of flashing a BIOS, one can only hope that you got the right image file. If you didn't, then the motherboard is probably history.

I would find the correct downloadable BIOS for that motherboard and put on a floppy as directed. Then insert it and see if the machine will boot. If that doesn't work, you're ready to go shoppping.

On the slim chance it does work, you have dodged the bullet and learned a lesson. Be sure to post back in any case.  ;)

In the future, you need to remove the video drivers BEFORE installing another card or especially any drivers for it. Does that board have onboard video as well? If so, you will want to plug into that and remove other video card(s) until it is resolved.

mouse

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 10:44:21 PM »
Omg....  >:(

Questions:
 1) So it is only my motherboard that is stuffed up? Every thing els will be fine?
 2) Should I buy another motherboard or wait until Jan, and spend the 20-30$ on my new computer?
 3) I don't have a floppy drive.  Could I use either CD, DVD or USB?
 4) How should I get rid of Linux from that hard drive? It doesn't auto detect.
 5) Before, my friend also gave me a spare hard drive (40gb) I connected it all up and when I started the PC it went 'POP' and some smoke came out.. Is it still usable and why did it POP? I'm pretty sure I connected it right.

Edit:

6) If the motherboard is history, why does every els work? Or is it just the power?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 07:20:34 PM »
Why do you say everything else works? You have now destroyed a hard drive as well?

At the least you need a new motherboard. You also now see the need for those archaic floppy drives. If you replace the motherboard you will need to get one that supports THAT processor, THAT particular type of RAM and THAT particular video card type. If you are getting another one in January anyway, then you may want to wait. If you are able to verify what you need and can get it installed by yourself, or with the help of a Geeky friend, you can be up and running sooner.

With your track record you may want to consider the "Geeky friend" idea. For a free dinner, a pal may swap is a new motherboard and troubleshoot it.  ;)