Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Performance improving software  (Read 5255 times)

Gordon

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Ex Volkswagen mechanic
    Performance improving software
    « on: December 01, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
    I currently use Regcure, but like the claims made by PCPitstop.  What is everyones favorite "Tune up" program and why?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Performance improving software
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 09:46:37 AM »
    I think of CCleaner as a good PC maintenance tool.  It's a multi-purpose tool; it's a disk cleanup utility and a registry cleaner.
    « Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 10:15:45 AM by soybean »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 09:48:12 AM »
    To me they really don't improve performance all that much and in some instances actually slow things down.
    The best upgrade performance wise is still adding RAM followed by vid card updating and high end hard drives.
    No software written is going to pack the same gains in my opinion...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 10:12:08 AM »
    I agree, and disagree with patio.
    Surely, hardware upgrade will help. It's obvious.
    I don't believe in miracle tools like "Speed Up Your PC", as for generic name for miracle tools, but regular maintenance is a must.
    CCleaner is a very good example.
    I actually use a set of tools, which I run once in a while. Below is a screenshot.
    Don't forget about security tools being up to date, and run them once in a while, as well.

[saving disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 11:26:53 AM »
    It sounds then like some of the recomendations of PCPitstop are pure BS?
    I don't know about BS, but I just don't believe in miracle tools.

Is cleaning the registry not really necessary?
    It is. Dead entries will slow down your computer.

Curious about the page file.  Should I lrave it alone, does Windows really know best?
    I have it set. I don't like M$ messing around my computer.

How about putting the page file in RAM on a thumb drive?
    I don't think so. I even don't believe in putting it on separate partition, since with todays speedy computer, it may save you couple of miliseconds in performance.

I do use McAfee security suite that is FREE with Comcast cable.
    If it works for you, and it's free, fine. Personally, I don't like it.

I do de-frag the HD frequently.
    It's been under discussion for years, so who really knows. I defrag, but not frequently.

All of it....IMHO.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 11:35:39 AM »
    I don't exactly what PCPitstop recommends, but cleaning the registry periodically is a good thing, assuming you're using a safe registry cleaner.  CCleaner is popular partly because it's very safe.  It's not the most aggressive registry cleaner but aggressive registry cleaners sometimes cause problems.  You do need to be cautious about selecting and using a registry cleaner.  Backing up your registry before executing the cleaning is always a good practice.

McAfee and Nortion suites are resource hogs and you'll take a performance hit with them.  I suggest you explore other options for anti-virus and firewall.  I'm using AVG Anti-virus, a popular choice. 

As far as putting page file in RAM on a thumb drive, I'm not sure about the pros and cons of that, but I'm inclined to think you shouldn't expect a significant benefit from it.   And, I believe most users are best off letting Windows manage the paging file.

With 1GB of RAM on your XP computer, you should have good performance for general use.  Do you feel your computer is not performing like it should?

« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 02:51:54 PM by soybean »

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 04:05:04 PM »
    Code: [Select]
    Trying to watch Youtube videos I usually get a start and stop situation the first time through.I assume, you have on-board video, because I can't see any video card listed in your specs? If so, don't expect much.

BTW...what are your security programs?

Gordon

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Ex Volkswagen mechanic
      « Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 11:44:10 PM »
      BTW...what are your security programs?

A Mcafee security suite with firewall and virus protection among some other stuff.

I also use Ad-Aware, ewido, and AOL have their own little anti spyware program.

In the beginning it was very confusing.  Dell gave me free Mcafee but it expired after just one year.  AOL peovides free Mcafee too.  I settled on what was provided free with Comcast, it seemed ro be more complete than the AOL version, and I just don't trust AOL anyway.

I used to have Norton on my old Windows 98 machine, but got tired of always having to buy a newer subscription, free is good.  I tried to run the Mcafee suite on the old Windows 98 machine, and it slowed to a crawl.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 12:34:00 AM »

I deal with large files sometimes.  I Put my digital camera pictures on the computer, edit them, post some to the internetn and e-mail some to others.

I also put my 8mm videos on the computer, edit them, and post some to Youtube.

More RAM would help this more, not a registry cleaner.

Some of the interaction with the internet seems a little slow sometimes.  Trying to watch Youtube videos I usually get a start and stop situation the first time through.  After it's all loaded into memory (?) it will run fine.

This is more likely related to your intenet connection type and actual speed.

There are other occasions when web pages just don't want to load up.  The little bar goes part way across, then just stops.  I don't know much about how computers operate, but it seems that the RAM gets full, then it starts swaping out to the disc, is that close?

This is not a symptom that will be fixed with registry cleaning. It is more likely a problem caused by internet connection speed, AOL and McAfee.

Back to the registry cleaning issue, though, CCleaner is really all that is needed and it is free. The other programs are just voodoo.  :o

I would switch to or at least ad Spybot. AdAware alone is not sufficient.

ianbell

Beginner

• I THINK I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SH*T
        « Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 10:18:02 PM »
        I'm using Abexo Free Registry Cleaner which seems to be working well at a basic level of removing unecessary and closed files and providing a registry back-up on demand - anyone else had experience with this one?
        REALITY IS A POOR ILLUSION FOSTERED  BY A LACK OF GOOD ALCOHOL - HIC!

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 04:51:27 AM »
        I'm using Abexo Free Registry Cleaner which seems to be working well at a basic level of removing unecessary and closed files and providing a registry back-up on demand - anyone else had experience with this one?
        I haven't used Abexo Free Registry Cleaner.  I mainly use CCleaner as a registry cleaner but also occasionally use Eusing Free Registry Cleaner.  I first used Eusing on 5/30/06 and have used it about an average of once every 6 weeks.  I've experienced no problems with it.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 08:26:35 AM »
        Just so you know i logged in to PCPitstop on a brand new build dual core setup; 1G of RAM; 2 high speed SATA HDD's and a CAD CAM vid card with 512Mg of RAM.

When it gave me a list 1/2 a page long on speedup recommendations i just laughed and never returned to their site...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 09:29:29 AM »
        Yeah...it used to be pretty good site, but I don't visit them anymore, as well.