Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I deleted everything on my computer and I dont know how to get it back  (Read 5317 times)

Melissa18

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

So here is what happened. I was trying to delete "Incredimail" off of my computer using the task manager or something and my computer froze on me. So I pressed ctrl, alt, delete while in it and restarted my computer. When it restarted everything was gone, and I mean everything. Nothin is left not even my saved files. So I read somewhere that you can re-set your computer to an earlier time when it had all of it's files and then everything will be fine, but the problem is that I dont know how to do this. Please help me............my parents will kill me if they see this.  It's not just a little useless info, my dad runs his home buisness off of this thing . Please help asap. I have Windows xp home edition. HELP!!!!! ???

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: I deleted everything on my computer and I dont know how to get it back
    « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 01:59:43 AM »
    Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore

Please beware that any files or programs altered between the restore point you choose and now will be lost.

Before you do that, are you sure you're logged onto the same user and not a different user? If somehow you're logged on to a different user, other users' files won't be visible to you.

nickc1976

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 02:05:37 AM »
      Firstly, what exactly did you do to remove Incredimail from the PC? Task Manager would allow you to close the program down, but wouldn't remove it from the PC. Can you remember which options you selected?

When the PC loads up, can you describe what happens, what is missing, and where it is missing from? Do you select a username when you log on? Does Windows load up normally? Which folder are your saved files stored in?

http://www.pc-citadel.com - PC and Laptop repairs upgrades and customization

Melissa18

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 02:19:47 AM »
        Ok I used add or remove programs. Then while the window was still up my computer froze so I restarted it, and I only have 1 user name on this computer and it went to that one. It started up normally and I noticed at first because there was nothing but the internet and the recycling bin left on the desktop and then I searched for other stuff and found that there is litterlly nothing left on the computer except that.

Melissa18

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 02:21:26 AM »
          Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore

Please beware that any files or programs altered between the restore point you choose and now will be lost.

Before you do that, are you sure you're logged onto the same user and not a different user? If somehow you're logged on to a different user, other users' files won't be visible to you.

There are no accessories!!!!

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 02:27:06 AM »
          Start -> Run...

Copy and paste this:
          c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

The drive and the directory may need to be changed, depending on your setup. This is the default location of the Restore program itself.

Melissa18

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 02:57:43 AM »
            That did it. Thank you so much ;D

Do you know what could have happened? Again thank you sooooooo much.

Melissa18

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 03:01:11 AM »
              No wait, it dint work. It sort of did, I got everything back excpet what I really needed. There are still no microsoft office documents, no picture files no files at all.

quaxo

Guru
                • Yes
              « Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 04:03:49 AM »
              At the top of your start menu, what is the user name listed there?

In the folder c:\Documents and Settings what users are listed?

nickc1976

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 04:09:59 AM »
                Try
                Start > Search > For Files or Folders
                Select "All files and Folders"

In "All or part of the file name" enter  *.doc
                In "Look in" leave "Local hard drives C" selected
                Click on "Search"

Do you see any of your missing files in the search results?
                http://www.pc-citadel.com - PC and Laptop repairs upgrades and customization