Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New computer rebooting before windows....  (Read 2559 times)

royalpuma

New computer rebooting before windows....
« on: December 24, 2007, 10:28:20 AM »
So I got a 2.66 dual core processor, and a intel dp35dp motherboard, a 8600gt video card, and a new power supply that I installed yesterday.

When I go to start the computer it runs through the black screen, it seems like it goes pretty fast. Before it is about to go to the windows log on screen it will reboot any ideas?

sabbyvt

Re: New computer rebooting before windows....
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 10:43:19 AM »
Try resetting your memory. That can cause that to happen. Any blue screens?

royalpuma

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 10:52:11 AM »
nope no blue screens, is it possible that my powersupply is not high enough? its a 500w. Ill try the ram

royalpuma

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 10:58:56 AM »
ram not the answer, i replaced, and bios shows that they are there. I have the harddrive plugged into a ribbon cable that is also going to the cd-rom drive is that ok?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 01:03:32 PM »
Double check all your connections.
Remove the CD drive temporarily if it's the only IDE channel you have ...if not move it to the other IDE channel by itself.

Other causes :
MBoard shorting out...check to see if all standoffs were used.
Thermal Compound...not used or applied improperly...travel to Arctic Silvers site for instructions.
Bad RAM...test with MemTest.
HDD...you cannot simply move a hard drive running any version of Windows later than ME and expect it to boot. The OS is tied to the hardware it was installed on.
Vid card....use the onboard video for now to eliminate the card as a suspect....
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

royalpuma

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 05:43:34 PM »
The processor did not come with any thermal compound, but probably has ( i didnt look) a tape thingy under the heatsink.

I noticed in BIOS that the harddrive was set to "raid" but changing that to ide showed there was no harddrive connected.

I was looking at my cpu temp and it is at about 45 C at idle. in the manual it states it should be around 38 C .

Also iam pretty noobish what are the standoffs?

homer

Expert
    « Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 06:15:52 PM »
    I have the harddrive plugged into a ribbon cable that is also going to the cd-rom drive is that ok?

i strongly suggest seperating those, that may be the problem. i would also strongly suggest a SATA harddrive as you only have one IDE input that can only support 2 devices.

an added note, the PSU is not the problem, 500W is more than enough.

desofossy

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 11:23:49 PM »
    Is this a pc you have just built? If you have checked the ram and H/D then it could be your mother board or you mighit need a BIOS update. its not your power supply.

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 06:53:19 AM »
      The processor did not come with any thermal compound, but probably has ( i didnt look) a tape thingy under the heatsink.
      You really need to check this ASAP. If the heat sink came with thermal paste pre-applied (as "tape") it might be covered with a piece of clear plastic to protect the thermal compound. This plastic needs to be removed before installing the heat sink.
      If the heatsink didn't come with any thermal compound you will need to buy some. Else the processor will overheat.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 07:46:58 PM »
      We could be looking at a Decent new build going up in blue smoke here pretty soon...

RP have you ever built a machine before ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "