Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Setting Up Port Forwarding  (Read 2673 times)

shadou

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Setting Up Port Forwarding
    « on: December 24, 2007, 06:56:14 PM »
    I've been trying to set up port forwarding with my internet connection, but no matter what I try I can't get it to work.  I've gone through all the instructions at  www.portforward.com for my specific router and DSL modem (D-Link LI-524, Westell 6100) and set up a static IP, however, every time I run a test of the port, it continually gives me an error that the port is not open.

I'm on a wireless connection with my Dell laptop running Vista Business.  I made exceptions in Windows Firewall, but still no luck.  I enabled (let's say for example) port 42420 on my D-Link router, then on the Westell, and then made an exception in Vista firewall, and the port still is indicated as closed.  What else could I do to set up port forwarding?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Setting Up Port Forwarding
    « Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 09:50:45 PM »
    every time I run a test of the port, it continually gives me an error that the port is not open.
    What kind of test are you using?

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 07:04:08 AM »
      In addition to Broni's question, what program are you trying to open a port for and have you configured this program to use the port you have forwarded?
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

shadou

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 01:46:26 AM »
        The test I ran was the uTorrent Port Checker (http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=#####).  This test would continually give me an error reporting the port as not open, no matter what directions I followed to open the port.  I am trying to configure the port for uTorrent, and I have configured the program to use the port.

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 11:24:45 AM »
          Hmm you say you have configure both the modem and the router? This means your modem is also functioning as a router and I think the port isn't being forwarded correctly because of the dual router setup. Coincidentally I found a guide on how to configure your modem to work with another router. You may want to try this.
          http://www.lava.net/support/Westell_6100_DSL_Modem_Installation_Guide

If you don't feel comfortable messing around with your modem I suggest you disable the   routing capabilities of your router (it will basically work as a switch then). You should be able to do this by disabling the DHCP server on the router.
          Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)