Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows update  (Read 3174 times)

hamish

windows update
« on: January 03, 2005, 12:01:30 PM »
When I click on windows update after clicking start, it appears to open the microsoft update site but all there is  is a blank screen.(with 'done' at the bottom)
I also have similar problem on other web sites where the expected follow on screen doesnt appear eg when Java script  appears in bottom left.
I've  checked all the security settings and they seem ok.
I havent a firewall and  am on windows 98 2nd edition.
Virus checkers and spyware software dont indicate a problem but obviously something is stopping follow on screens appearing
Help please

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: windows update
    « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 01:07:24 PM »
    hamish......Have you had this issue before or has it just started ?  Have you opened IE and clicked on tools / internet options ........and then clicked on the advanced tab .......now scroll down until you see Sun Java ( be sure its enabled ) or you may still have Micro Soft VM ( be sure its enabled ) ......  If you dont' have Sun java .....go to http://www.sun.com/    ...scroll down a bit and on the right hand side there is an ad which says " Java Technology...get it free from Java .com " just click on that link and then download it .  That should eliminate those little squares with the red X in them when you are on some sites ........Now check MS update site again .

let us know how you make out .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: windows update
    « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 01:11:45 PM »
    Be sure that your cookies are turned on as well.... Also, try temporarily disabling your firewall while you run a Windows Update.... Let us know what happens...

[glb]Flame[/glb]