Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook 2002  (Read 3477 times)

Lynn Huff

Outlook 2002
« on: January 04, 2005, 10:07:58 AM »
I could really use a little help.  I'm running Outlook 2002 on 3 computers (all Windows XP home).

Here is the scenario:
I update all my contacts, notes, etc. on my desktop.  Then I want to update this same information on my two laptops for travel.

I "know" that I need to copy the .pst file but herein lies my problem.

With XP, there are 3 or 4 places that have the .pst files.
Each of them seems to have different mb's & I don't want to copy the wrong one.

They seem to be in different places....All Users, Lynn Huff (me)...then under C:\documents and settings,
Local settings.....

I AM SO CONFUSED as to which one exactly has the updated information...AND when I go to back it up on a disk/memory stick and recopy it to my other laptops,
do I use the exact same location to restore it?  Also, do I run the risk of getting duplicates (which I have gotten before in trying to export/import-and it took me FOREVER to delete them).

Sorry to be so long winded....but the export/import thing just didn't work (I have all computers networked together, too).

Thanks in advance!
Lynn

Computer_Commando

Re: Outlook 2002
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 12:58:48 PM »
If you do not specifically tell Outlook where to locate the PST files, it will place them in the default location which is under your logon/documents/settings.  You can change this from Outlook.  Tools--Email Accounts--Directory (View or Change...).  Or from Control Panel--Mail--Email Accounts.

Not very user friendly.  If you travel or use more than one computer, it's easier to use Internet Mail (Yahoo and most ISP's have this) and dump Outlook.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 01:12:31 PM »
Delete all of your files on the 2 other computers, and then simply export all of your files from your main computer over to the other 2.

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Lynn Huff

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 05:42:04 PM »
Thank you both for your replies......great idea about deleting and starting over AND I didn't even know that I could save the .pst where I wanted it.

I'm so used to programs that have YOU back up and tell it where to go and Outlook seems to just automatically backup when you close it.

Thanks again!

Lynn