Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help corrupt hard drive  (Read 3655 times)

Tim Freed

Need help corrupt hard drive
« on: January 05, 2005, 08:22:48 PM »
Hi all,
I am really in a bind.  I have been trying to install windows 98, I got everything to work for the most part, but when I tried to get the modem to hook up, it crashed.  I pawned it off to the AOL install, so I was going to re-format the C:, re-install windows 98, and start over.  That was fine until I gambled on doing the MSSETUP that was on the d:  I changed my mind (apparently a few seconds too late) when the files started doing some sort of copying....  it wouldn't stop so I just hard shut down.  When I tried to turn it back on it says C:windows\himen.sys was missing or corrupt, along with DBLBUFF.sys, and IFSHLP.sys.  It looks like the dos command prompt is OK, but it won't let me format, or delete the anything from windows to start over.  
Anything anyone can help with is MUCH appreciated!!
Thanks in advance, Tim

Dennis Newman

Re: Need help corrupt hard drive
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 03:54:46 AM »
Tim,

If you have a startup disk then use this to access your PC and re-format your hard drive. Then begin the installation of Windows again.

If you do not have a startup disk try this site:-

http://www.bootdisk.com/

Computer_Commando

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 08:08:30 AM »
Click the following link:
How to install Microsoft Windows 98.

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 12:11:36 PM »
    I too have learned the hard way about forcing a cancel of something a little too late. Make sure you are entirely certain before doing an important system change again.

Tim Freed

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 09:48:22 PM »
    Thanks a bunch guys!!!
    Booting up with the boot disk was enough to get me past the errors and reformat!!

You guys rule!
    Thanks again,
    Tim

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 04:37:33 PM »
    You live and learn ;)