Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can i increase speed in Windows Vista  (Read 4165 times)

vasim0101

How can i increase speed in Windows Vista
« on: January 18, 2008, 12:16:48 AM »
I have installed windows vista OS, and its taking too much time for login and shutdown, I have 1 gb ram, nortan 2007 antivirus installed.
so guide me how can i increase speed in windows vista os.

tee

Re: How can i increase speed in Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 02:21:49 AM »
If you installed Vista Premium add another gig of ram.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 09:13:53 AM »
Dumping Norton would probably be an improvement.  I'll suggest AVG Free as a replacement, if this computer is for personal use.  You can get it at http://free.grisoft.com/

daniel1212

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 10:13:28 AM »
    I have Vista HB on a Dell 520 with a dual core 3.08ghz cpu with 1.5 ram, and  it is slower to boot or shutdown and less responsive in some basic tasks than XP  (on the same machine), or even my old W/98se with a 650mhz cpu. But it is overall the most stable OS yet.

You definitely need more memory, and even though i only have home basic i could use 2gb of total ram.  NewEgg has 1gb of  DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) for about 25.00 with S+H.

You want to examine what is set to load with Windows. Go to Start>Run, type msconfig and hit Start up and  find what is checked. You can move the column sizes from  the top if needed.  Programs like MS Office do not need to load with Windows, among other things. Do a Google type search of all entries so you know what is running, and besides deselecting unnecessary programs , you should then be able to check the list periodically to see what has been added secretly (from ITunes, etc. to malware). A freeware programs  called WinPatrol is a help in alerting you to this. And an programs like StartUp list can give you a list of things that load with Windows http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwstartup.html

Other tweaks that i have found helpful include disabling unnecessary services (Start>Run (or Windows key + R), type  services.msc and hit Enter) as this guide shows: http://www.speedyvista.com/services.html  You may want to create a restore point first. (Start>Run rstrui.exe)

And by going to System Properties (hold down the Windows key and hit the Pause/Break key) and choosing Advanced System Settings>Advanced>Performance, you can deselect things like Fade Out menus, etc.  You can also access the System Restore functions by hitting System Protection rather than Advanced in System Properties

I also found TweakVI (freeware) useful in  finding more tweaks, like speeding up menu response, and turn off extras etc. But you have to carefully consider all the options. http://www.softplatz.com/Soft/Utilities/Diagnostics-Optimizers/TweakVI-Basic.html

Hope this helps.
    Grace and peace through Jesus

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 10:20:59 AM »
    I have installed windows vista OS, and its taking too much time for login and shutdown,
    Some actual times would be helpful here; that eliminates the subjectivity regarding such issues. 

Zygmo

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 05:33:04 PM »
    You did not mention if you have Ghost installed.  If so, that and most anti-virus programs slow down a computer, especially shut-downs.