Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reinstall  (Read 2143 times)

ianisainmdom

Reinstall
« on: January 25, 2008, 03:39:16 PM »
Hi, I know this has probably been covered loads of times but don't know about this exact question. My computer crashed a while ago and was fixed with repair, with all my data still there. It than crashed again, a few more times. In each of the crashes it would get back to the safe mode option screen but wouldn't go further, saying no system was found. I now have another disc to fix the laptop and repair won't work. If i try that it just restarts and goes to the same screen. I've gone through the reinstall option and gotten to the partition screen. What do I do now? I really want to save my data, I have alot of things I need/want on there. Does partitioning do that? Any help would be great. Any at all..
Thanks

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Reinstall
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 04:21:59 PM »
Welcome to the CH forums.

It's not possible to diagnose your problem without knowing something about your laptop such as which laptop it is.

Please read this.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

ianisainmdom

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 04:25:32 PM »
Sorry about that. I thought about that after I posted. It's a Gateway running with XP, service pack 2. It's a few years old, all I really want is the information off of it.

Thanks for the welcome as well.

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 12:04:41 AM »
Remove the drive from the laptop and slave it in a desktop which is also running XP - you may need to procure an adapter to allow you to do this (see pic).  Copy the info from the laptop drive for backup then return the drive to the laptop and carry on with the recovery procedures.

[file cleanup - saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

ianisainmdom

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 05:28:04 AM »
Thanks Dusty. I don't have a desktop available to me at the moment though. What about an external enclosure? I've never done anything like this before. Thanks!

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 12:08:54 PM »
If your system won't boot then you won't be able to access any external device.  However you could try an external device but boot from a cd using  NTFS4DOS or another rescue disk such as the Ultimate Boot Disk.  I don't know if either will access an external drive, never tried that.

Good luck