Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Board wont boot after processor change.  (Read 3485 times)

LtRyan5184

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • EMS Supervisor
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Board wont boot after processor change.
« on: January 28, 2008, 11:42:18 AM »
OK,

I have a VIA mobo, with a pentium III socket 370 @ 800MHz however the board is no good, However the other day i bought a Tangent Desktop with a intel MoBo and a socket 370 slot for $20 ( i bought it for the XP license) It ran xp but i figured i could put the pentium III in, since the celeron was only 266MHz, and lacked a L2 cache. When i removed the heatsink from the celeron i was suprised..... It was a celeron that even after all my years of working with computers i had never seen before. I expected it to be a Green colored processor with an exposed blue die. I was wrong, it was a black processor, with a metal jacket over the die, (like what a pentium 4 desktop looks like, except black) At first i though the mad had lied to me, and that it was actualy an AMD processor, however when i turned it over it was clearly marked "Intel Celeron '98" so i shruged, and put the Pentium III in since they were both the same socket, however it would not give the screen power. I have no idea why, everything is compatable, and i have double checked all connections, but still have no luck.

Suggestions?

Thanks

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Board wont boot after processor change.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 12:05:29 PM »
Without info on the new board it's impossible t tell...just because the chip fits does not mean it will work and you risk damaging the CPU/board or both...

Keep in mind that XP will not boot properly with a MBoard or CPU change without doing a Repair Install first.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

LtRyan5184

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • EMS Supervisor
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 12:13:37 PM »
i understand, however its not the OS, it is that it wont give power to the vidoe card, i might just need a new power supply

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 12:23:07 PM »
    Have you checked with the MOBO manufacturer for CPU compatibility?
    Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 12:28:03 PM »
    I understand. But your missing the point that not all Socket 370 boards support every Socket 370 CPU's...

( and you still may risk frying one or the other )

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 04:15:25 PM »
      Try useing the video card in another machine.  Check if the card is seated right.  Listen to Patio and me, not every processor is made to fit other boards it will list it if it does the fact that its a 370 doesn't matter.  Its like use a 370 in a 478 it won't work.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

LtRyan5184

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • EMS Supervisor
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 06:39:41 PM »
      Meh. not the video card, actualy not even my fault that its screwed up, turns out tht the board'd bios chip had some issues.... like the small fact that it lit on fire...... yeah.....

Thx for the help though

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 10:07:36 AM »
        It is your fault. YOu didn't ask first.  Then you kept saing it should work.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

LtRyan5184

Topic Starter

Beginner
        • EMS Supervisor
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 02:23:47 PM »
        wow. you think its my fault?

guess what im sorry that the guy that gave it to me was not "technicaly inclined" but i did ask him if it booted, he said yes. Im sorry that i was given a sucky computer for free. I never said it should work, i said that everything on my end was good, all cables and connectors, not soldered on BIOS chips. Id strongly recomend posting something useful rather than flaming other members.

If im correct this is supposed to me a site to help people new to computers, or those experiancing problems. i work at a computer store, and am a resident network tech, i know my stuff, if you flame me for a mistake, then i pray you wont do it to a new member.

Nothing against you, just asking you to be a bit considerate.

Thanks guys

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 07:59:41 PM »
          If you mentioned that people don't have to assume.  Just ask here if you have a problem thats what I do.  Some where some one did it.  Well the pc doesn't suck...  I have a c64 that wont boot.  I can tell who is a novice an who isn't.  I do html,java,computer tech an ect.....  but you could have mentioned it. 

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 09:24:50 AM »