Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor? Video Card? Motherboard?  (Read 3308 times)

mpmallory

Monitor? Video Card? Motherboard?
« on: January 29, 2008, 11:52:08 AM »
Around two weeks ago, when I left my computer for three or more hours, the screen would go black and the monitor appeared to be in sleep mode (power light blinking on and off) when I returned.  I would have to reboot to use the computer again.

Around a week ago, the monitor would stay black and appeared to be in sleep mode right after I turned the computer on.  At this time, I could hear windows starting up (that musical sound), but couldn't see anything.  In some instances, the monitor/desktop would come on several hours later...with me doing nothing.

Now, when I start the computer up, it is running. But I do not hear the sound of windows loading and the screen never pops up.  The monitor stays in sleep mode (or at least what i assume is sleep mode) and nothing happens...even after multiple hours.

The monitor is a less-than-year old Princeton Graphics LCD monitor.  The computer is a 6 year old Gateway computer with AMD & Windows XP.  I have never had any problems with either.  Did my computer crash?  Is the monitor at fault?  Is the video card at fault?  I've attached and reattached everything and cannot seem to figure out what is up.  Any help out there? It would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Monitor? Video Card? Motherboard?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 12:01:53 PM »
What will hapen, if you boot to Safe Mode?
As for monitor itself, try it with another computer.

mpmallory

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 12:07:43 PM »
thank you for the reply.

Going to try monitor on another computer tonight.  When i boot up in any mode, the screen stays the same.

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 12:07:59 PM »
What will hapen, if you boot to Safe Mode?
As for monitor itself, try it with another computer.

once again, I agree with broni.  Try in safe mode.  If that doesn't work, try on another computer.

mpmallory

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 12:51:09 PM »
Thank you. I will try to reboot in safe mode.

The slow deteriorating of the problem has me concerned that something is significantly wrong.  Initially the monitor would enter sleep mode and then never awaken.  Now, it doesn't awaken at all.

Would the way the problem deteriorated lend you to believe that it is an internal hardware issue?

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 01:54:22 PM »
It's speculation, but yes.  I've had that same deterioration before when that's happened.  It's possible too that simply taking the computer apart, cleaning the dust out, and reseating the video card (assuming it's not onboard video)

mpmallory

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 05:00:33 PM »
tried to start in safe mode, but i couldn't see anything.  the monitor just starts blinking when the computer is turned on.  cleaned out the interior of the computer, unplugged and plugged in everything, etc.  UGH!

going to try to find another computer tonight to test my monitor on.  considering that is less than a year old, i doubt this is the problem...but i'm hoping!

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 07:15:08 AM »
That's too bad.  let us know how the monitor works on the other computer.

mpmallory

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 11:59:24 AM »
thanks for the help.

tried the monitor out on another computer and, sure enough, it was fried.  got it less than a year ago too. 

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 03:55:48 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Thanks for posting back.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 08:13:10 AM »
thanks for the help.

tried the monitor out on another computer and, sure enough, it was fried.  got it less than a year ago too. 

yeah, that sucks. 

Although, if you got it less than a year ago, I'd check with the manufacturer.  It probably has a 1 year limited warranty, which should cover it malfunctioning in this fashion.