Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer as Telephone Receiver  (Read 2898 times)

Yitzach

Topic Starter

Rookie

Computer as Telephone Receiver
    « on: February 03, 2008, 03:16:25 PM »
    My roommate just moved out and took his phone with him. I use Windows Live Calling to call other people using Voice over Internet Protocol. But Windows Live Calling identifies people by E-mail addresses, slightly hard to call on a phone. As my computer has a modem, and computers can send faxes, I was wondering if any one has come across a program that allows a computer to pick up a phone line, RJ-11, like normal phones instead of using VoIP.

Manufacture: Dell
    Model: Inspiron 1501
    Processor: AMD Turion 64 x2
    RAM: ~2GB
    Modem: Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92
    Graphics Card:ATI Radeon Xpress 1150

That is probably more than necessary, but those would be the things that cause the most problems.
    Grace and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ unto you. - Paul the Apostle

Yitzach

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Computer as Telephone Receiver
      « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 11:33:49 PM »
      I'm still waiting for a response, this post is to bring the question to the front of the line.
      Grace and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ unto you. - Paul the Apostle

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 08:42:40 AM »
      I believe unless the callers post that option all you will see is the email addy...check with your VOIP provider to see if the option exists...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 09:20:10 AM »
      You might switch to Yahoo! Voice.  I occasionally use it for outgoing calls.  It can also be used for incoming calls; the incoming call service costs $2.49/mo.  See http://voice.yahoo.com/phone_number.php for more info.

Yitzach

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 09:40:16 AM »
        My VoIP is from Windows Live. It is difficult to call an E-mail address unless you are calling from one yourself.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 07:11:22 PM »
        I believe unless the callers post that option all you will see is the email addy...check with your VOIP provider to see if the option exists...
        You may have to request a # from the people on your Contact list...i really don't see another way to do this.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "