Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard issues  (Read 5829 times)

Chewzy42

Keyboard issues
« on: February 16, 2008, 12:11:41 PM »
Hi

I'm having trouble signing onto my computer.  My keyboard is wireless but it stop working, so I bought a wired keyboard hoping I could plug it in and enter my password.  Unfortunately, no such luck.  I thought the keyboard was working but when I plug it into my labtop in installed its drivers.  So I guess I need to get pass my login screen for it to work on my desktop.  I can't use my keyboard, is there any other options that I can use to sign onto my desktop.  If I was to purchase a docking station would that allow me to plug my cpu into my labtop and sign on that way.  I don't know, I grasping at straws.  Someone please help me if you can.

Thanks, Hattie

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: Keyboard issues
    « Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 12:44:09 PM »
    Windows got built in drivers any wired keyboard should be able to use without installing anything.
    I presume this is a USB keyboard? Did it come with a USB to PS/2 adapter? If it did, plug it in to the PS/2 port. A keyboard connected via PS/2 is the all compatible, fail safe keyboard you should always have for emergencies.
    This is the adapter I'm talking about.

If I was to purchase a docking station would that allow me to plug my cpu into my labtop and sign on that way.  I don't know, I grasping at straws.  Someone please help me if you can.
    You want a docking station that allows you to control your Desktop computer via your laptop... never heard about such a thing.
    You can remote control your computer via Remote Desktop.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Chewzy42

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 02:07:20 PM »
    Thanks Deerpark, 

I tried using the adapter but it didn't work, so to make sure the adapter work, I plugged in the receiver from the wireless keyboard and the light came on.  So the adapter works, I guess just not with the keyboard.  The adapter has a mouse on it so maybe I need one for the keyboard?  Are there two types of adapters?  I am getting frustrated, I have been trying to figure this out for a week now.  Any more suggestions?  (smile)  Let me know if there are two types of adapters and I'll definitely invest in one.

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 03:11:37 PM »
      Yes it appears there is a difference between a mouse usb --> ps/2 adapter and a keyboard usb-->ps/2 adapter (never thought there were).
      You should be able to get one at any well assorted computer store.

Chewzy42

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 04:04:19 PM »
      okay, I'll buy one, thank you. 

Chewzy42

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 05:28:40 PM »
      Before I buy a PS/2 to USB adapter, do you think there could be something wrong with my PS/2 port.  I found an old keyboard that has a PS/2 and plug it in but the light on the keyboard flashes on for a second.  I pull it out and put it back in and the same thing happens the light flashes and goes out and the keyboard doesn't work.  Maybe there isn't enough power coming from the port to allow the keyboard to work.  Am I on to something, could that be the problem and if so what can I do to fix the problem.

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 05:33:50 PM »
        Did you restart the computer after you inserted the keyboard? PS/2 is not hot swappable like USB, it will need a restart to function.
        There is really no need to buy a USB to PS/2 adapter if you have a functioning PS/2 keyboard. The old keyboard should allow you to enter windows and install your USB keyboard if the problem is indeed that the USB keyboard needs to have drivers installed to function.

Chewzy42

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 06:02:49 PM »
        Yes I restarted the CPU and it doesn't work.  I'm thinking it may be the ps/2 port on the cpu.  I've been at this all day. 

Chewzy42

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 06:15:32 PM »
        I just tried the old keyboard with the ps/2 on the computer desktop computer downstairs and it works fine.  My computer  upstairs ps/2 port probably doesn't have enough power. I plug it back into the upstairs computer and hit the reset button in back on the cpu then turn it off and rebooted it.  The light came on then went back off.  It has to be the cpu, now what do I do.

husky88

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 08:06:49 PM »
        It is not the CPU. The CPU is the one that loads everything, it is the one that does the work and the processing.
        You are having problems with the plug that is attached to the video card (or the motherboard if your computer is old). The video card is responsible for displaying things on your screen. If the keyboards work everywhere else, but not in that computer, then you might have a problem with the plug. You probably need a new video card or take the old one to a computer store. I don't know if they repair them.

Chewzy42

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 08:51:48 PM »
        The computer I'm having a problem wth is only 2yrs. old.  And it can't be the plug since the plugs work on the other computer.  I'm not saying something is wrong with the Whole CPU, just the port for the ps/2.  Because everything else is fine.  I just can't sign on because I'm having trouble with the plug in ports.  I thought I couldn't use the new keyboard because I couldn't sign in for the drivers to upload but I was wrong because there is a password on the downstairs computer and I was able to use that keyboard to sign in.  So it has to be the ports.  Right?  Now how do I fix that problem?

husky88

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 10:29:28 PM »
        If the computer is only 2 years old, then you plug in the keyboard into the video card.
        The CPU does not have a port for PS/2 (unless you buy an adapter).
        Not sure if I can post external links here, but this is a CPU
        http://regmedia.co.uk/2006/11/01/core2extreme_quad_cpu.jpg
        This is part of the video card
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ps-2-ports.jpg
        And yes there must be a problem with the plug that is attached to the video card. It is also called a PS/2 port. So you either need a new video card or maybe there is a place that fixes video cards.
        Hope this sheds some light. :)

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 10:54:40 PM »
        you plug in the keyboard into the video card.
        The CPU does not have a port for PS/2
        the plug that is attached to the video card. It is also called a PS/2 port
        What are you talking about here?
        What keyboard to what video card?
        I'm sorry, but, if you can't tell CPU from computer, please, refrain from posting any advices.
        This is just a bunch of nonsenses.

husky88

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 11:09:24 PM »
        Oups, yep I am wrong. Sorry. Somehow I was thinking of a monitor.

You still don't plug in the keyboard into the CPU. You plug it into the motherboard. So then it is motherboard issues. The plug of the motherboard.
        And the CPU does not have a port for PS/2.

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 04:06:20 AM »
          The computer I'm having a problem wth is only 2yrs. old.  And it can't be the plug since the plugs work on the other computer.  I'm not saying something is wrong with the Whole CPU, just the port for the ps/2.  Because everything else is fine.  I just can't sign on because I'm having trouble with the plug in ports.  I thought I couldn't use the new keyboard because I couldn't sign in for the drivers to upload but I was wrong because there is a password on the downstairs computer and I was able to use that keyboard to sign in.  So it has to be the ports.  Right?  Now how do I fix that problem?
          Hmm, I think we need to know more about the computer in question.
          What version of Windows is on it?
          Your problem basically is that no keyboard will work with it, correct?
          How about your mouse does it work at the login screen?
          Is your mouse USB or PS/2?
          When did you start having this problem?
          What happened around the time this started?