Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Updating required - Computer buying tips  (Read 1971 times)

goodiestan2002

Topic Starter

Rookie

Updating required - Computer buying tips
    « on: February 21, 2008, 08:07:09 PM »
    http://www.computerhope.com/btips/cheat.htm

Did anyone maintain this? or it just closed for usage??

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Updating required - Computer buying tips
    « Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 05:19:33 AM »
    There are a lot of Computerhope web pages that require updating actually.
    However, there are thousands of pages, so it's not a simple job.
    Also, the admin has to maintain, moderate and administrate these forums, as well as having a life outside this site too.
    You do have a valid point though.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 10:14:12 AM »
    This page was an ambitious project I started but have not yet completed. Originally I planned on manually updating this page but after a few months of doing it I found along with everything else I couldn't maintain it. So the plan has been (for a long time) to pull prices dynamically from a third-party and then integrate it into the the page so it would be all automatic.

Unfortunately, story of my life and many of the pages is that it keeps getting bumped down on the list of things to do.

I think I may have to simply phase the page out for a while because I've received a few complaints about it. Which is understandable.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 02:04:39 PM »
    I'd give some thought to permanently removing it.  Computer hardware pricing changes rapidly and maintaining such a page in a current status would require frequent updating.  Besides, potential buyers of computers or computer accessories can find plenty of info online by visiting sellers' websites.

But, if you really want to keep such a page, you might take a different and easier approach and post links to many websites.  This could include sellers that sell only online and brick and mortar stores that either also sell online or at least show product info for products sold in their stores.  Perhaps some of these links could be setup under affiliate agreements, whereby you could get a commission when someone goes to a site from your link and makes a purchase.