Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wiped Hard Drive and CMOS?  (Read 5904 times)

Speedcrazee

Topic Starter

Starter

Wiped Hard Drive and CMOS?
    « on: February 23, 2008, 10:28:47 PM »
    My friend was having trouble with her computer so asked her boyfriend to fix the computer. He in turn decided she had obtained a mighty virus and through google found a DOS command process to wipe the hard drive. He now has a major problem. Once he was done typing all of the commands into the computer...he rebooted...and now the computer comes on but nothing happens...not a whir...not a click...not a beep...nothing but the green ring on the power button to show that it is on. He said the program was from you guys (computerhope.com) and so I figured maybe someone here could help me. He ran the debug sequence ERASE HDD AND CLEAR CMOS located on this page http://www.computerhope.com/rdebug.htm.

I was told that I can fix this by simply hooking her hard drive to my computer and reformatting and installing Windows XP through my hard drive... I was told what cord to use and everything. However..Ive read a little on this and want to make sure that it is actually feasible to fix the hard drive this way before I go to those extremes. I have limited computer experience.. I have installed new drives in my computer...but nothing this major... I would like to help her save a bit of money if I can fix it..her boyfriend refuses to pay to have it fixed and she is on limited income.

So after that lengthy explanation.. Can anyone advise me on this? Or do I need to have her get a loan to get a new hard drive? lol

Dias de verano

Re: Wiped Hard Drive and CMOS?
    « Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 02:45:08 AM »
    You friend's boyfriend sure sounds like a fool. That script would have completely wiped the hard drive so it is blank. No Windows, no data, no nothing. Also it wiped the CMOS chip on the motherboard so now the computer won't even turn on.

We don't know what make and model the computer is, so we can't even begin to tell you what to do.

Just a thought... tell your friend to hold down the DELETE key as she turns on the power, and if that does nothing, try the INSERT key. May need to try several times.

Tell her to get a new boyfriend that respects her property as well. Or to come to you instead for advice since you sound more sensible.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 12:06:35 PM by Dias de verano »

Speedcrazee

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 11:33:12 AM »
      She has an emachines. I am going to read the sticker to you on the front. I know that she had some work done to it before. Not sure exactly what and I cant get a hold of her today lol. But here is what I can tell you..

W2646 Emachines
      2.60GHz Intel Celeron Processor
      40Gb Hard Drive Ultra DMA
      256MB DDR for optimized performance
      It has a Seagate hard drive but I would have to open it back up to get the model number...

Ok...so its completely wiped...sigh..I thought as much. I tried the Del key and nothing happened...and then the Insert key...same thing...However I put my hand on the casing and found that it seems the hard drive is kicking in...just not doing anything...which would be expected if he did wipe it lol... So any help would be DEEPLY appreciated ....and I will pass on your advice on the BF..not that shes listened to me before on him lol

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 09:12:57 AM »
      have you tried clearing the CMOS using the jumper that you can find on the motherboard? maybe the BIOS isn't checksum-ing the CMOS data during boot, thus trying to load invalid configuration information.

Also try a "minimal" configuration, which means to disconnect All hard drives. If you get a beep, the problem is the HD. Personally I'd go with my first suggestion.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Speedcrazee

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 08:47:04 PM »
        OK... I used the jumper method and got the computer to boot up again. It will show the BIOS logo screen. I have it set to boot from CD.

I have the original setup Cd's that came with her computer. I put the first one in and chose the first option...It goes through Symnatec Ghost andw hen its done it says to remove CD and press any key to reboot. When it does reboot... it comes up with the screen that gives you the options to start in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Config., Start Windows Normally....anyway... I chose to start from Last KNown Good Config and get the message that Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \Windows\system32\config\SYSTEM. You can attemp to repair this file..etc etc... Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I dont get the first windows screen..it flashes up then reboots very quickly.

So ...I asked my buddy what work she had done to the computer last time and she said she had the motherboard replaced. So now that helps me to understand that the setup disks she has will not work to reinstall Windows xp and she will have to find an original Windows Xp setup disk to get her computer back up and running...

But.. I do have this usb 2.0 to IDE cable... is there a way I can use that to install windows on her hard drive from my computer? lol.. I know that is probably a stupid question.... but I am at my wits end and if she wasnt such a good friend I would probably just tell her to go buy new Windows... either way...thanks for the help so far and for any help or advice I recieve in the future!

mooseye

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 11:48:57 AM »
          I would suggest you try other options such as start normally or start with command prompt. If normal won't work and the command prompt does you may be able to see if the installation discs that you tried did actually install anything on the hard drive. It usually takes more than one reboot to do an install. If you can get to the command prompt and find files have been installed then you may be one step closer to success.
          Post your results.

Also, I think you have this posted in the incorrect forum. Probably should be under Windows or Hardware.

Speedcrazee

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:19:34 PM »
            Well when I started the thread it was a programming problem..lol... now that I have that fixed it has become a windows problem.. either way...I cannot boot windows from any of the options given and I cannot reach the repair console and since she doesnt have an "original" cd I cannot reinstall windows.. unless of course she can afford to buy one..which is probably not going to happen lol...and no one we know has an "original" setup cd ...So I am stuck.  I thank everyone for their help.. It was very informative and as accurate as it considering I was in the dark a bit myself. Have a good one..