Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error message (bsod)  (Read 2463 times)

dittocmv

Topic Starter

Error message (bsod)
    « on: March 03, 2008, 07:55:06 AM »
    Hello,

I have a Dell Optiplex GX400, running windows 2000 pro, intel pentium 4 processor, 1.50ghz, 256kb integrated, bios revision AO4. It was my office computer, purchased in 2001 and never had any major problems. My boss retired and let me have it. So, I transported it home. I only took the CPU and hooked it up to my moniter, keyboard and mouse at home. When I turned it on, it gave me plug & play configuration error all down the screen, then on another line....NIC failure, then another line...strike F1 to continue, F2 to run setup utility, so I pressed F1.........when i do that, it says starting windows, but then it gives me a bsod which reads,

***STOP: 0x000000A5  (0x00010003,0x81876410,0x00000002,0x818AFA84)The ACPI BIOS in this system is not fully compliant with the ACPI specification. Please read the README.TXT for the possible workarounds. You can also contact your system's manufacturer for an updated BIOS, or visit http://www.hardware-update.com to see if a new BIOS is available.

The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor or visit http://www.hardware-update.com for an updated BIOS. If you are unable to obtain an updated BIOS or the latest BIOS supplied by your vendor is no ACPI compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup. To do this, simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers. The system will not notify you that the F7 key was pressed-It will silently disable ACPI and allow you to continue your installation.

So, the only thing I can do after that is turn it off because it just stays there, it doesn't restart or anything. When I turn it back on on press F1 to get past the plug and play config error screen and then I just press F7 a few times, but the bsod appears again.

I know this is a longshot, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: Error message (bsod)
      « Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 09:50:51 AM »
      Turn it off and open it up.
      Make sure everything is connect and seated properly. The trip home might have made something come lose.

Make sure to take anti-static precautions before working inside the computer case. Touch a piece of grounded metal to discharge any static electricity.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

dittocmv

Topic Starter

Re: Error message (bsod)
        « Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 01:37:34 PM »
        Hi,

Thanks for your help.   Actually, I did open it up thinking that might have been the problem, however, I just don't know what I'm looking at. It did look like something was disconnected, but I have no way of knowing where it belongs........I tried to find illustrations in the manual, but there is nothing that specifically tells you where conncections are to be seated. I don't know if you can try to describe to me where it might be reconncected. I would try it..........