Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blue screens -> no boot up -> nothing...  (Read 2305 times)

NoeL85

Blue screens -> no boot up -> nothing...
« on: March 13, 2008, 11:01:45 PM »
Hi

My computer has just died on me, seemed to be a decline rather than an abrupt failing, was wondering how to fix it?

At first I'd just get random but frequent blue screens (would usually occur 1-4 hours after boot up) with a variety of error messages. Initially I thought it may have just been the memory, so I ran memtest overnight - found nothing. So I decided I'd test each of the sticks on their own, and the machine never crashed with either stick running by itself (though it was painfully slow :P). After that I thought it might have been one of the memory stick slots, so I tried each stick individually in both slots... memtest still found nothing, and I didn't get any blue screens. I put both the sticks back in again hoping the problem "fixed itself", but sure enough an hour or two in I got yet another BSOD.

So I went back to just the one stick of memory, then a few weeks later I get a blue screen with just the single stick. I thought I might have found the culprit so I switched the sticks, and got a blue screen as soon as Windows started booting. Changed over to the other memory port, same thing. Tried running safe mode, same thing. Was getting errors like BAD_POOL_HEADER and BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO.

Now when I push the power button the fan turns on, the CD drive makes its little start up click, but nothing else. Nothing is sent to the monitor, the red "busy" light doesn't come on, it just sits there with the fan running, not doing anything.

Any thoughts? (btw I know nothing about computer hardware)

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Blue screens -> no boot up -> nothing...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 01:33:45 AM »
Welcome to the CH forums.

Quote from: Noel85
(btw I know nothing about computer hardware)

We know nothing about your hardware or software, not even whether we're supposed to be looking at a laptop or desktop or what OS you are running.  You didn't post any of the bsod error codes......

Please read this
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.