Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video card or MB?  (Read 7175 times)

ailiguan

Re: Video card or MB?
    « Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 04:24:43 AM »
    I am also having the same problem since yesterday. Also thinking that my video card is spoilt, I went to buy a new one. But then the problem still remained unsolved. I also thought that the culprit must be my motherboard.

Trying my luck, I replaced the CMOS battery with a new one, and voila my computer sprang to life again. I had been troubled by this since then: Can the problem really be the battery? It sounds so incredible, or is this just a temporary solution?

Dias de verano

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 04:28:33 AM »
    How old is your motherboard?

ailiguan

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 07:19:58 AM »
      Mine is reaching 3 years

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 07:23:11 AM »
      ailiguan it's best to start a new thread so it can recieve the proper attention.

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dias de verano

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
      A battery can run down in 3 years

The Computerhope guide to CMOS says 10 years, but I saw this on another site...

These batteries are advertised to have a life span of five years.

While the life span of the battery might be five years under ideal circumstances, it's not advised to wait until the battery is dead to replace it. Remember that the battery is the only thing that keeps you from losing CMOS settings when you power down your PC.

If you do not replace the motherboard on PC for a long time, you should consider changing the battery every two or three years. Why change the battery so soon? The reason is simple - if you wait until the battery begins to die, your PC can forget its CMOS settings.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 09:19:36 AM »
        ailiguan i have had this problem on my pc too. since i've had it ever since 2001 the intergrated video died as well as the CMOS battery so replace your CMOS battery.
        If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

jester17

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 09:52:17 PM »
          I did but not with my computer. Good thought, I will see. Thanx!

Um.... Just throwing this out there but..... did you try another monitor?

jester17

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 09:56:52 PM »
            Only 1 card was from E-Bay. The other one I bought new and have been using it for about a year now. Of course, right out of warranty.
             Question though. If it is just bad drivers how do I get it to boot to install the drivers? ??? ::)

jester17

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 09:58:07 PM »
              about 1 year

How old is your motherboard?

jester17

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 10:00:44 PM »
                This will sound really dumb but, does every computer have these batteries. I know a little about computers but that battery has never come up. I have no idea where to find it. Please help!! (>:

A battery can run down in 3 years

The Computerhope guide to CMOS says 10 years, but I saw this on another site...

These batteries are advertised to have a life span of five years.

While the life span of the battery might be five years under ideal circumstances, it's not advised to wait until the battery is dead to replace it. Remember that the battery is the only thing that keeps you from losing CMOS settings when you power down your PC.

If you do not replace the motherboard on PC for a long time, you should consider changing the battery every two or three years. Why change the battery so soon? The reason is simple - if you wait until the battery begins to die, your PC can forget its CMOS settings.

Betaa

Beginner
                  « Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008, 12:11:01 AM »
                  Yes every computer does, it is located directly on the motherboard and is a little smaller than a quarter.
                  Teh ßetazorz!!!!!1!!1!!!!1

Dias de verano

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2008, 03:16:22 AM »
                  For those who aren't American and may not know what a "quarter" is, here's a picture.

jester17

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 10:42:16 PM »
                    You are most helpfull, thanx!!! ;D

For those who aren't American and may not know what a "quarter" is, here's a picture.

jester17

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2008, 03:02:55 PM »
                      i changed out the cmos battery and that had no effect. i tried changing memory, another video card, another monitor and still nothing.any other thoughts

Dias de verano

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2008, 03:06:07 PM »