Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Constantly rebooting on startup in 98  (Read 2695 times)

gary25

Constantly rebooting on startup in 98
« on: April 17, 2004, 10:31:16 PM »
When starting up my PC, it gets to 'starting Win 98', but then reboots back to start the boot cycle again. This keeps happening and the computer gets stuck in this loop.
I have also noticed that the Floppy drive is not being searched for and I have had to change that in BIOS menu.

Is this software or hardware!

Thanks,
Gary

merlin

Re: Constantly rebooting on startup in 98
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 10:38:06 AM »
a wav file may be can cause this re-boot into safe mode f8 and in the runbox type msconfig and chose selective startup and also while in safe mode have a look at the device manager>are there any error codes or yellow tri-angles near the floppy disks /controllers icon?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 10:39:53 AM by merlin »

Gloops

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 10:04:55 AM »
Hello,

Microsoft has published an add-on to solve this problem. As I do not use Windows 98 any more I am afraid I do not have the address by hand, but I presume a search on Microsoft's site should give some results.

I had the information on microsoft.public.fr.windows98 about two years ago, I imagine the question must have been asked also in an English speaking newsgroup on news.microsoft.com.

It can happen once that if you have something really ill-installed this happens again, but generally speaking this add-on brings a real improvement.

Hoping this helps ...

tinmanjohnny

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 03:55:12 PM »
Try this:http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?InCC_hdn=true&Catalog=LCID%3D1033%26CDID%3DEN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&withinResults=&QuerySource=gASr_Query&Product=w98&Queryc=rebooting&Query=rebooting&KeywordType=ALL&maxResults=25&Titles=false&numDays=&InCC=on
:) Web support at Microsoft. Look under if usung more that 1.5GB of RAM or if using DriveSpace compression.