Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System information script  (Read 12546 times)

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: System information script
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 05:14:05 PM »
Huh. That is interesting, learn something new every day. :)
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 10:02:22 PM »
Huh. Interesting. I'm assuming you're running Firefox. Have you tried running that plugin to see if it helped?
I've installed it and it still wont work  :o

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 10:03:09 PM »
Huh. Interesting. Is this on a Windows computer or Linux?
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 10:12:19 PM »
*GASP* Linux???                ::)

Windows XP

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 10:14:09 PM »
Oh hey, it works! My bad.

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 11:25:06 PM »
Carbon: Heh, no problem. I was really scratching my head on that one.

Big updates added:

While answering another post from a user about their JavaScript not working I thought it would be helpful for this page to also list the JavaScript version. So now should display JavaScript version.

- Added Color Depth listing.

- Added full plugin listing that JavaScript is able to detect using the navigator.plugins option. This is listed under the original plugin table. Unfortunately this feature does not work in Internet Explorer, but does work in Firefox and Opera.

*** Would anyone happen to have the beta of IE8 installed that they could test this page out. I'm curious if a more up-to-date version of JavaScript or more support in the new version would allow for this feature to work.

-Albert Einstein

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 11:05:41 PM »
Been getting a lot of feedback on this feature so added some additional features. Primarily spent a lot of time tweaking the detection of *nix OS and other OS detection.

Some other things I've added.
- Browser encryption strength
-VBscript detection
-Detection for StumbleUpon, Zune, Creative Zen, and several dozen other user agent variables. Most only visible when viewing page in IE.
-Language detection
-Script hides features such as the full javascript plugin detection in browsers not supported in.
-Additional logging for catching data not being matched

Still found at:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/systeminfo.cgi

Trying to find a reliable way to give more components and/or plugin listings for IE users using VBScript, but not as easy as I was planning on. :)

-Albert Einstein

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 03:50:09 PM »
Very nice :)

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 04:08:25 PM »
Nathan,

A few things I've noticed. Everthing works fine in FF but in IE, when I click on the script the Java console opens. In addition the qttask (Quick Time) resets in msconfig, to starting up at boot time.

For the truly paranoid among us, exactly what is that script doing?  :o
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 08:37:47 PM »
Huh. That's really interesting that your system is opening the Java console. I'm assume you're running an older version of Java (what Java and IE version are you running)?

For the truly paranoid ;) there is absolutely no need to worry. All the script is doing is reading your user agent header from your browser to gain many of the values and for the plugins it's simply using JavaScript to get the values. There really is no way these types of scripts could manipulate anything with any of the plugins you have on the computer. I'd assume if values are getting reset by something on your computer.

However, if anyone else is encountering this please let me know. All my machines here have not encountered anything abnormal like this.

Update:

I just finished going through the logs of visitors to see if the script is missing anything and I've seen a few users who I've been able to tell from their user agent header that are infected with spyware. The script will now report if these are detected (funwebproducts/simbar/iebar) and link the user to the spyware page on where to get protection.

I also spent time revamping the ISP detection. Had quite a lot of fun spending at least 2 hours on one line of code (shown below). Heck of a way to spend a Friday night. :)

elsif ($striphost =~ /\.([a-z0-9\-]{3,25})((\.[a-z]{2,3}){1,2}?)$/i) {

- Added platform detection for *nix systems
- Added and corrected other minor things

-Albert Einstein

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 11:41:20 PM »
Have posted another major updated of this script (v1.1). Script will now detect additional plugins including VRML and X3D plugins. Also updated spyware / adware detection with a few more adware programs I've seen users come in with. Script also now displays the current version of each plugin to help with comparisons for users wanting to know if they're running the latest version of a plugin. Finally, did a few other minor updates and adjustments to the operating system detection and ISP detection.
-Albert Einstein

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 12:17:21 PM »
Did some additional updates to the script (v1.2a), corrected some minor issues including the resolution and color depth not showing for some users and added platform and cookies enabled boxes. Script has also now been added to several different Computer Hope pages including the main Online help page: http://www.computerhope.com/oh.htm
-Albert Einstein

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008, 11:31:42 PM »
Needs some additional help testing update to system information script, now version *beta* 2.0. I rewrote the plugin detection table so versions are now displayed with periods instead of comas and now will also indicate if the plugin needs to be updated or installed. This is where I'd appreciate if you'd look to verify it is correctly identifying if you're up-to-date or not.

Still at:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/systeminfo.cgi

Thanks
-Albert Einstein

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2008, 11:37:08 PM »
This is mine:

[recovering space - attachment deleted by admin]

homer

Expert
    « Reply #29 on: April 08, 2008, 11:57:33 PM »
    i dont know if this has been mentioned, i havent read all of the posts, but i believe under the "Update?" header, it should say "needs updating" and not "needs updated." its just sounds a little more grammatically correct, thats all.