Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP problem or virus?  (Read 5957 times)

Jill D

Windows XP problem or virus?
« on: January 26, 2005, 01:43:50 PM »
Thank you, ahead of time, to anyone who even bothers to read this.

A few days ago I restarted my computer (Windows XP Home) and I'd get to the blue log in page where you select what user you want to log in as. Whenever I'd click on it, it would say it was loading the personal setting for forever and most of the time -- never ever load further than that. Eventually, after a couple of tries, it worked but I got a few warnings saying my virtual memory was too low, that some programs failed to execute. But everything seemed to work fine.

Today it rebooted itself and I clicked to log in and it had the same problem. Though this time it occasionally would go past the log in page -- load my background, but nothing else. I ctrl + alt + deleted and logged out and logged back in and it worked but within thirty seconds, it had shut itself off and rebooted without any warning at all.

So right now I'm running it in safemode since that's the only thing that works -- I ran virus scans and I got funlove.gen and that was removed so I tried to see if the problem was fixed, but it still did the same thing -- only this time if I logged on as a NEW username I made I got a popup saying ntauthority\system was shutting down in sixty seconds. I know this is commonly associated with the blaster worm, I got that on my other computer through my school's wireless network and removed it from there long long ago. So I am back in safe mode now, I'm running the blaster removal too but it hasn't seem to have found anything yet and it's been running for a long while now.

I'm not sure what else it could be, so I thought I'd give it a try and ask here if anyone has had similar problems or may have any idea as to what I can do to fix this.

Thank you!

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Windows XP problem or virus?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 02:29:30 PM »
How much RAM do you have installed on that computer? When your computer says that your virtual memory is low, then you need more RAM usually... (Virtual memory comes from RAM) Let us know how much you have...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Jill D

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 02:41:05 PM »
256 mb of Ram.

I dont know if that's the problem though, or if it's something else. I can imagine thats a problem otherwise but I dont think it would be with randomly shutting off as soon as it loads up (though it takes forever to load).

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 02:59:35 PM »
Probably a trojan... What programs load when you start the computer normally?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

2k dummy

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 03:12:50 PM »
For the record, virtual memory is NOT RAM, but HD space. It is the windows swap file.
Disable system restore and run the AV again in safe mode.
Make sure the indexing service is disabled.
Delete temp files and temp internet files.
Empty the recycle bin.
Remove any programs that you have installed but do not use.
Check your startup files and disable any programs except your firewall and AV. (You can start them from a shortcut or the start menu when needed)
Defrag the HD.

2k dummy

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 03:14:31 PM »
Oh yeah, after you have done all that, you can turm system restore back on if desired.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 12:50:07 PM »
Just "for the record" 2kdummy... Turning off system restore is NEVER a good idea, if you do not have another program that does the same thing (Norton Go Back, etc.)! If you EVER read any of the posts that we publish here, then you SHOULD know that system restore is a CRITICAL option! It fixes MOST problems easily, so that the viewers that post here do not have a lot of difficulty fixing their computer problems. PLEASE DO NOT GIVE INFOMRATION THAT WILL MAKE OTHER PEOPLE'S LIVES HARDER! By the way... About the virtual memory not coming from the RAM.... Read my quote! "I do not claim to know it all, but I can suggest" ! If I'm wrong, then that's one thing, but when you try to use risky meathods to fix the problem, you're going down the WRONG path... Save those ideas for a LAST resort! PLEASE! PLEASE THINK BEFORE you open your mouth! The last thing we need is to have to walk a viewer through a VERY complicated situation, when there WAS an easier way... Think about it....

Message to Jill: Do you have antivirus protection?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 02:14:00 PM »
    Jill D.......I don't wish to confuse you , the info given you by both 2K dummy and Flame is correct ( or almost ) .....
    If you are aware that you are infected with a pest of some type......it is a good idea to shut down your system restore before scanning for and removing the intruder ......BECAUSE .......should the intruder choose to hide in the system restore files .........and you do a system restore ....quess what ...it's still there alive and kicking .....and when you do a system restore , you have just put it back. Another tip , particularly if the pest is resisting removal .....is to reboot into the safe mode .....then run your scans from there ......Safe mode is a diagnostic mode .  When you have removed your pest ......remember to turn on your system restore ......
    Sytem Restore wasn't designed to be a virus or spyware remover ..........

Hope this helps you ....

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.