Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Review section?  (Read 14042 times)

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Review section?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 12:01:48 AM »
Yes, I think a Review section is a great idea.  I think it should be limited to the focus of the forum, just so it doesn't get completely crazy -- computer hardware, software, and peripherals (although peripherals may get to be a gray area -- I still remember the "Dilbert" comic that had to do with the disk drive for his toaster). 

You are certainly encouraged to set any rules / limitations you see fit.  "This product suxxors" shouldn't be allowed to stand -- it might be an acceptable beginning if the poster goes on to provide valid reasons why.

Pehaps -- I'm not sure -- a questionnaire format or a form -- something that requires a bit of effort without being overwhelming may discourage the "drive-by" posters and "flamers." 

I want to be the first to review the built-in cupholder that's on my desktop computer!
 ;) ;)

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

homer

Expert
    « Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 02:26:44 AM »
    i havent read all of the previous posts, so if this has already been brought up i apologize. personally, i believe this should be in the "other" category, under its own title. its seems kind of "tucked away" being a child board. what does everyone else think?

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
    • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 04:08:32 AM »
    If it grows enough I'd be more than happy to move it onto the main page. I'd like to however keep the main page as clean as possible. I really think having a forum that lists dozens of different boards is overwhelming to most users and messy looking.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 05:13:58 AM »
    My opinion seems late indeed....... :-X

Anyway,good idea Nathan..... ;)
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    « Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 02:17:19 PM »
    For limiting the board permissions to only allow users with 5+ posts to create a review, it is possible.
    Its a bit complicated though, it requires creating a new membergroup (users under 5 posts, which, dont have to have a different name than new members, currently titled "Newbie" if I remember correctly)

Once you have done that, you can create a new Permissions group for one specific board by going to Members, going to settings, enabling "Enable permissions for post count based groups", then selecting "Edit Profiles".

Take a quick look around, its actually kind of simple.
    Create a new profile in there.  Select the membergroup that users have when they first register and have under 5 posts, and set the permissions as needed.

From this point, its self explanatory.

It might be overly complicated, in my opinion. I think we should wait and see if the boards get abused by human spammers or not.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 07:27:19 AM »
    I'm with Zylstra on this...i think a wait and see approach is best at this point.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
    • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    « Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 08:57:42 AM »
    Fair enough. Makes it easier for me. ;) For now all users (except guests) will have the ability to post in this section.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 08:52:17 PM »
    BTW Nathan the new layout looks good to me...not the cluttered atmosphere you were afraid of adding new Categories.
    Keep up the Good Work !
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
    • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    « Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 09:11:27 PM »
    Thanks.  :D
    -Albert Einstein