Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: used computer problem  (Read 3818 times)

blessed1202

used computer problem
« on: January 29, 2005, 01:07:44 PM »
I hope I've posted this in the right place.  I wasn't sure which topic it should go under:
I recently aquired a used computer. It came from an apartment complex that has a computer room where residents can get the internet and use other programs. My problem is it will only allow me in on the tenant side. I have no admin. privileges. When I asked the manager about how to get admin rights she said the computer had been a replaced by new ones a long time ago and she didn't know how to get the rights. It runs NT4 and it will not allow me to update, install a printer, format or anything. I've taken out the CMOS battery and put it back in, allowing me to get in without a password, but only on the tenants logon. Is there a way of getting the rights through the registry or command prompt?
Thanks!

Joleen

Re: used computer problem
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 07:17:35 AM »
Just as an FYI this would have been better posted in the Windows section.  As it's here now I might as well say that I think you're best off formatting.  You get a fresh install and you ensure that you're the admin.