Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: printer installation  (Read 4776 times)

perseo

printer installation
« on: April 18, 2004, 04:24:20 PM »
I recently ran my recovery discs in my pc to clear out all the junk. Since then, my Lexmark printer will not reinstall. I downloaded a new printer driver and the printer still still will not install. After installation, I get a screen that says printer installation complete but the printer does not show up anywhere. Under printers in the "settings" file is only a symbol like Quicklink111. I believe this is the fax driver but I am unsure. My recovery discs must have wiped out something that keeps the printer from being installed. Does anyone have any ideas on why the printer will not install. I would really appreciate help on this matter. Thank you!!!

merlin

Re: printer installation
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 04:41:03 PM »
when you load your recovery disks it wipes the hard drive in most cases did the printer come with the system  the software for the printer maybe on the recovery disks or if you bought it separatly you must have the install disk load it first then attach the printer..

perseo

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 05:15:34 PM »
Thank you for the reply. The printer is new and did not come with the computer. However, the printer installed perfectly after buying it and was working fine until I ran the recovery disc in the computer. Then the printer would not install after that even after downloading a new driver. The printer disc will not load the printer even though the screen says it loaded correctly.

merlin

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 12:08:42 PM »
completlely uninstall the printer in the device manager and unattach it  from the pc re-boot winxp  then delete the software.re-boot then reload the software and re-boot then attach the printer? is it a usb one?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 12:10:44 PM by merlin »

perseo

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 06:22:32 PM »
Yes, it is a usb one. I'll try your tip. Thank you!!

perseo

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 10:04:12 PM »
Hi again,
What do you mean by reboot winxp? Also delete what software? The printer software? Thanks for being patient with me as I am new at all this stuff. Thank you!!

Joleen

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 07:22:19 AM »
I think in the eagerness to help, Merlin has missed a period.  Go into Control Panel->Printers and uninstall any printers (just delete it). Leave the printer on and reboot.  Hopefully Windows will detect the new hardware and you're off to the races.  If not, install the printer software.

perseo

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 01:45:46 PM »
Thank you both Joleen and Merlin. The printer setup fine and I now show the printer under "Printers" in the control panel. So we are making progress. The only problem I am still having is that a voice command tells me that there is a problem communicatiing with the printer and this causes the printer not to print. There is still something not quite right but we are making progress. I'm about to take this Lexmark Printer back to the store and get something better. For all I know, it could be the computer causing the problem. I would welcome any more ideas you may have. Thank you both!!!
Marty

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 03:02:53 PM »
    perseo......I just saw your post and I wonder if by chance you have a Lexmark Z42/43.....if you do ........have you D/L the latest driver from lexmarks site. http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:290:0:0&emeaframe=&fileID=544

Have a friend with this type of printer , had similar problems and this D/L corrected it for him.

If you have a different model just ignore the post.

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

perseo

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 05:11:36 PM »
    It is a Lexmark Z605. I bought it 6 weeks ago and the store will not exchange it since it has been more than 30 days. Bummer!!! I downloaded a new driver and it did not help. There is a comunication problem between the printer and the computer. An audible message states that "Cannot Communicate with the printer".  This printer will be in the trash can before long. Thank you for your input. I appreciate you guys willing to help.

Marty

Joleen

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 07:02:56 AM »
    Computer can't communicate with printer but it was autodetected?  Will it print a test page from the printer properties?

Marty Perseo

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2004, 08:38:43 AM »
    The printer installs as it shows up under printers in the 'settings" screen. I get this audible command that says "cannot communicate with the printer". All the connections are fine, I unplugged the printer and tried again, disconnected the power cord and reattached it. Rebooted and tried again. It does not print a test page from the printer properties. I have a USB connection and that is attached fine. This printer worked fine until I ran the recovery discs in the computer as it was infected with viruses and the memory was used up. The computer recovery discs wiped out something and the new printer driver I downloaded did not solve the problem. If I load the printer disc with the USB attached, the printer will not load at all. It will not even appear under  " printers" . No icon or anything. If I load the printer disc with the USB disconnected from the printer, the printer icon shows up and the printer seems to have been installed. Only problem is that I get this "cannot communicate with the printer" message. I have communicated with Lexmark support and they keep saying to download a new driver but I keep telling them it does not solve the problem. This all happened after the computer recovery discs were run. I even tried to set the computer to an earlier date in time, but that did not work either. What else is left??? I'm not sure if the problem is the computer or the printer. The computer is a HP Pavillion with Windows ME. Thank you!!!
    Marty

merlin

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2004, 12:33:00 PM »
    « Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 12:39:34 PM by merlin »