Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: video card comparison  (Read 3961 times)

rgray

video card comparison
« on: January 30, 2005, 02:44:09 PM »
any opinions on how these two cards compare?

XFX GeForce 6600GT 128MB DDR3 PCI Express
 ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB AGP VIDEO CARD VGA DVI TVOUT

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: video card comparison
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 06:21:12 PM »
That depends on what you would be using them for, and what you want inside of them... (Performance)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

stuball56

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 07:16:47 PM »
Gforce 6600GT is a fine card and will handle anything out there right now. Go with a 256 memory model if available. I run a 6800GT and it really does the job. But as stated the 6600 is very strong as well.

rgray

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 08:26:22 PM »
is it possible to get a gforce 6600 gt for an agp slot?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 08:12:42 AM »
Probably, but it depends on the speed of the card... (4x, 8X)... Call your computer manufacturer for more information... Also, being that you have a Gateway, you can also Instant Message support... All you have to do is visit the support page, type in your serial number, and hit the chat with a tech. link...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

rgray

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 08:18:30 AM »
i'm getting the geforce6600gt video card. now i realize i don't have enough wattage in my power supply. is there much difference in the various power supply units? this is turning into a never ending quest. i started out just getting more ram. also whats the deal about plugging an extra cable into the video card?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 08:25:34 AM »
Well, for the power supply, what matters here is how much voltage you can get from it... It says in the requirements on the back of the box, which is why you MUST check them before trying to install anything! Power supply units do not have much of a difference, but I would trust a certain manufacturer over another just becuase of reliability and support...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Quentin

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 07:33:08 PM »
I heard that with the Nvidia FX cards you have to create two profiles, because on the default one windows is dark, but the games are fine, so you have to make two profiles and switch them around depending on what you want to do.  I have a Radeon 9550 256mb graphics card and it runs fine for me.