Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista’s adoption rate is faster than Windows XP’s  (Read 6706 times)

Broni

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Vista’s adoption rate is faster than Windows XP’s
« on: May 24, 2008, 10:13:35 PM »
HERE

During research for my series on Vista vs. Windows XP, I stumbled across an article at ChanelWeb that claimed that according to Gartner, the adoption of Vista by businesses is in line with that of XP at a comparable juncture after its release. As I will also publish an article at Computerwoche on this topic, I wanted to be sure if this surprising data really is correct. So I contacted Gartner and they were kind enough to mail me their latest numbers. This data does not exactly match with that of the ChannelWeb article, but it allows us to draw the same conclusion: the adoption rate of Windows Vista is indeed comparable to that of Windows XP after its release.

Windows XP was released on October 25, 2001. The market share of Windows XP Professional was 10% after approximately two years. Windows Vista was available to business customers on November 8, 2006 and was available to the public on January 30, 2007. If Gartner’s prediction is correct, then Windows Vista Business will be installed on 13% of all PCs worldwide at the end of 2008. This means that the adoption rate of Vista will be a little faster than that for XP following its release. The same applies to the consumer versions.

According to the data in my poll, the situation looks a little better for Vista because 17% of my readers have already started moving to Vista and 12% plan to do so in 2008. Note that in my poll, I didn’t ask about the number of PCs running Vista. Starting with a deployment does not imply that all PCs in an organization run Vista.

Anyway, these numbers indicate that all the gossip about Vista’s failure is just nonsense. If Vista is a failure, then XP is one as well, because it was not adopted any faster. I am quite fascinated by how this gossip spreads on the Internet. Take this new InfoWeek article as an example. The author, Paul McDougall, refers to a Symantec executive who said that

…only a small percentage of the security software company’s large enterprise customers have upgraded their corporate PCs to Vista.

So, only a “small percentage” have upgraded to Vista? Could I have some concrete numbers, please? A “small percentage” probably refers only to the personal assessment of this Symantec executive. Maybe he expected or hoped that more of Symantec’s customers would have adopted Vista already. And that’s why it is only “small.” It is also a matter of fact that large enterprises adopt new operating systems at a much slower pace than small and mid-sized organizations do. Obviously, this statement contains absolutely no valuable information about Vista’s pace of adoption.

Later in the article, the author cites Windows license sales for Microsoft’s fiscal third quarter to confirm his point. However, everyone knows that license sales, especially for just one quarter, can’t tell you anything about Vista’s adoption. You might as well believe Microsoft who says that 140 million Windows licenses sold “proves” that Vista is a great success. The only thing that really counts is the number of Vista machines out there. And if you want to know if Vista is a success or a failure, you have to compare its adoption rate to other operating systems such as Windows XP.

Now look at how many news sites and blogs copied this story and what they make of this “data.” Again, everyone is convinced that Vista must be a really big failure. I must admit, I am quite shocked about all of this. Not because of Vista, but of how our “free media” work. In contrast to the situation in totalitarian countries, in the “free world,” the media aren’t told what to write by the government. Instead, readers are in control - because the only thing that really counts is the number of clicks. It seems to me that more and more journalists and bloggers tend to write what everyone likes to hear, regardless of whether it is true or not.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Vista’s adoption rate is faster than Windows XP’s
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 06:58:00 AM »
You would need the 2nd year Vista adoption rates to make a fair comparison...i do not believe they will be as strong as XP's 2nd year...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 10:48:57 AM »
how about a count of people downgrading? It happened a lot with XP, and as far as I can tell it's fairly common with Vista too.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 12:25:18 PM »
I'm sure those #'s if they exist are well hidden... ::)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 07:46:09 PM »
which is odd considering how vocal people get sometimes after downgrading from Vista...
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

mcxeb52!

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 11:04:19 PM »
I wondered why microsoft did not ask the general population what they wanted to see in future windows versions instead of just leaving all that to the private windows testers.

Considering how many people actually use the windows operating system as opposed to how many testers there are, it would help.

Microsoft would cut out all the stuff that people don't use or rarely use to the point that it's same as nonexistence and windows would be tailored to the majority of the people which is good IMO  :)

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 09:39:13 AM »
Here's a link that disagrees with your source broni. http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
It says that Vista is only seeing 8.8% internet usage currently. Back in 2003, XP had 30%.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 02:28:56 PM »
I don't know Steve Ballmer says it's doing well and I believe everything he says.  ;)

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/111841,vista-selling-really-well-says-ballmer.aspx

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein