Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stupid Excel an Math  (Read 9815 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Re: Stupid Excel an Math
    « Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 04:22:24 AM »
    Its not that I wouldnt take your advice but I have to get three major long excel workbooks done by Tuesday.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Dias de verano

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 04:57:53 AM »
    Well, I get the same answer as you.

Let's "do the math" as the Yanks say.

b2=11,459,713 (Eleven million, four hundred and fifty nine thousand, seven hundred and thirteen units)
    b3=$13.40     (Thirteen dollars and forty cents unit cost)
    b4=4.25%      (Four and a quarter percent, or 0.0425, or zero point zero four two five annual sales growth)
    b5=4.50%      (Four and a half percent, or 0.0450, or zero point zero four five zero annual price decrease)
    b6=39.50%     (Thirty nine and a half percent, or 0.395, or zero point three nine five margin)

the formula is

b7=b2* (B3/(1-B6)) -- units sold in p.y. times ( unit cost divided by [one minus the margin] )

one minus the margin is 1 - 39.5% = 60.5% = 0.605

(time to fire up calculator!)

unit cost / that = $13.40 / 0.605 = $22.1487

units sold times that = 253818436.69

Which is the same as Excel says. So why do you expect to see 252733916?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 05:39:06 AM »
      Its what the book said that I should have gottin in cell b11 sorry.  Have three more plus powerpoint an a buntch of other stuff really stressed STRESSED.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Dias de verano

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 06:14:30 AM »
      What is the book title and exercise, page numbers, etc? Maybe a Google search will show there is an error. Text books are wrong sometimes. What will you lose, apart from face, by asking fellow students / teacher? You have typed in the figures exactly as in the book? No typos? The figure we are getting is a bit bigger than the book, by a factor of 1.0042911561185163608987089805549 (i.e. a tiny bit bigger) Have you set cell formats incorrectly so that rounding errors took place? Is that units sold figure exactly the same as the book?

If I could see the exercise as shown in the book it would be a help.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 06:56:57 AM »
        I thought I was hard headed??  Thats why I love the CH members, in a straight non gay way.  Introductory concepts an techniques wind xp edition,  by shelly cashman vermaat.  Big green an black book.  Excel 234 step 8 A.  I have no contacts in my class an I dont know how quickly he would respond. 

Dias de verano

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 07:01:06 AM »
        This book is also horribly lacking the ability to check how close your Office document that YOU made to their example. It's no use if you don't know how well you did. Things can look similar, but there are probably errors here-or-there.

Amazon customer's review

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 07:24:10 AM »
          So true, sadly I had formatted cells like this before an when I printed it, it would show what I had in the cells an I some what resized it an still nothing.  It had set a specfic size.  Oh well I'll just tell him then an do what I can.  I have to pull another late or early shift thought to do it.

Dias de verano

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 07:29:58 AM »
          Good luck. Sorry I was rude before.  :-[

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 07:58:09 AM »
            *bows* no disrespect intended.  I'm short tempered sorry if I was the one that caused the problem.  Also, perfect to a fault.

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 09:50:45 AM »
            This book is also horribly lacking the ability to check how close your Office document that YOU made to their example. It's no use if you don't know how well you did. Things can look similar, but there are probably errors here-or-there.

Amazon customer's review
            I'm not sure what book you're referring to, but I have Microsoft Office 2003: Introductory Concepts and Techniques, Premium Edition (Shelly Cashman) and it has good reviews, I've found it to be good.  I believe this book is used in many college classes; I know Columbus State Community College uses it. 

squall_01, I'm not sure this is the same book you have.  Your reference to "Excel 234 step 8 A" doesn't seem to correspond to my book.  In my book, page EX 234 discusses Saving an Excel Chart as a Dynamic Web Page.  Can you identify the topic in your book by topic title instead of page reference?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2008, 10:30:33 AM »
              Then thats not the same book the title is even differnt I think that there are three books, From what my teacher said there more advanced one past this one.

soybean

Genius
              • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #26 on: April 20, 2008, 10:57:39 AM »
              Introductory concepts an techniques wind xp edition,  by shelly cashman vermaat.
              You did say Introductory ...   If that's the title, then I'd say it's not a more advanced book, just a different version of the introductory book.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2008, 11:31:16 AM »
                May be but I was refuring to after this one.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2008, 02:09:29 PM »
                  know I'm running into the same stupid problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to have these numbers entered an 7.65 an 1.45 so I do it like I did the last time.  I got 765 or something dumb like that an I cant get it to come up as 7.65%

Dias de verano

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2008, 02:16:29 PM »
                  I need to have these numbers entered an 7.65 an 1.45 so I do it like I did the last time.  I got 765 or something dumb like that an I cant get it to come up as 7.65%

format the cells as number, 2 decimal places and enter 0.0765 and 0.0145 respectively then format the cells as percentage