Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stupid Excel an Math  (Read 9834 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Stupid Excel an Math
    « on: April 18, 2008, 08:55:21 AM »
    Im using excel 07 the thing is that I have a pile of work to do an I need to have these numbers 4.25 an 4.50 show up as percentages but when I click the percentage button I get 450% and it will mess up the formula an I tried moving the decimal but to no advial.  WHAY AM I DOING WRONG???
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Dias de verano

Re: Stupid Excel an Math
    « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 11:19:30 AM »
    What are you trying to do?

425% times something is the same as 4.25 times that thing.
    4.25% times something is the same as 0.0425 times that thing.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 12:27:51 PM »
    Are you applying the % format before or after entering your numbers.  If after, try formatting those cells for % *before* entering the values.  Then, entering 4.25 or 4.50 will display as 4.25% or 4.50%.

Alternatively, where you're applying the % format after entering the number, enter .0425 or .0450 instead of 4.25 or 4.50. 

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 12:56:27 PM »
      Are you applying the % format before or after entering your numbers.  If after, try formatting those cells for % *before* entering the values.  Then, entering 4.25 or 4.50 will display as 4.25% or 4.50%.

Alternatively, where you're applying the % format after entering the number, enter .0425 or .0450 instead of 4.25 or 4.50. 

Thanks thats what I'm tring to do and what I needed   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 03:09:16 PM »
        It didn't work I tried it.  I have to use a thrid number too 39.50 an it showing up as zero when I do this an I did it both ways an its very irritating

Dias de verano

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 04:25:43 PM »
        please show the formula and (for the second time of asking) say what you are trying to do!

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 07:43:08 PM »
          This is one of the cells that I need for it,  i'm tring to make these numbers in to a percentage but they come up differntly.  4.25,4.50,39.50 

Dias de verano

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 11:54:53 PM »
          Are you deliberately not giving any information?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 04:20:11 AM »
            No I just want to get the stupid things done.  >:(

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 08:36:27 AM »
            Read this: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP011612311033.aspx  It confirms what I said about applying the Percent format after vs. before.

It didn't work I tried it.  I have to use a thrid number too 39.50 an it showing up as zero when I do this an I did it both ways an its very irritating
            No offense, but I think you need to get a book on Excel.  Visit a library and get a book and/or CD.  Or, go here and buy a book; used books are generally good bargains.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 02:39:02 PM »
              I have a book the thing was that it was removing the decimal when I clicked the button.

Dias de verano

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 02:49:36 PM »
              This is what I just did...

1. I typed 0.25 into cell A1

Cell A1 is formatted as "Number" with 2 decimal places.

2. I clicked the percentage button.

Cell A1 now shows "25%" and the cell formatting has changed to "percentage"

(The cat agrees)

Are you saying this does not happen?

I think the problem arises because once you have clicked the percentage button, the format of the cell is changed from number to percentage. If you leave it like that, then type another decimal number in, then you get the result you described. Read Soybean's post again.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 03:24:42 PM by Dias de verano »

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
                yes but yor decimal place is gone if its like 39.50 it would show only 395%

Dias de verano

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 05:55:17 PM »
                squall_01, fooling around with Excel when you don't understand what you are doing is not going to help you learn. Start with simple stuff and work up.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 04:11:54 AM »
                  What ever man,  I got it working an it removes the decimal places when you click the percent button if you enter it as a decimal.  I mean no disrespect but I been taking excel since the six grade.  I have a collage course in it, its 07 an I was taught 03 so its some what new to me.  Know for some reason  I take b2*(b3/ (1-b6))  an come up with 253818436.69 an I should have 252733916.  Heres the cells

A2- Units Sold in Prior Year   B2 - 11,459,713
                  Unit Cost   $13.40
                  Annual Sales Growth   4.25%
                  Annual Price Decrease   4.50%
                  Margin   39.50%