Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bad luck with Vista Recovery!  (Read 3128 times)

jojo6332

Bad luck with Vista Recovery!
« on: April 19, 2008, 08:12:03 AM »
Alright here's my problem...I tried to do a vista recovery using the built in one, and as it was doing the recovery an error message popped up (it was just a bunch of numbers) and so I clicked on cancel and the computer restarted. Now when It boots up, before the windows logo appears, it says 'bootmngr is missing' press alt + ctrl + delete to restart. I did a restart, same thing. Ok so now a friend told me I could install Ubuntu and that way I can still use the computer, atleast for now. So it's installed and the computer automatically starts it up without the cd. I wanted to uninstall it, but I'm not sure how to do that. So the question is this: What are other options i can try to get vista back up, and how can I uninstall Ubuntu?

I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 - AMD 64 Athlon - 150GB HD - 2GB RAM

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!  :)

Also, I have tried to create and burn a recovery disk using the one built in, but that failed also. I called HP and they couldn't help except they are going to send me the recovery disks which will take like 5 days. I was just wondering if there was anything  I could do in the meantime? I don't think it was a virus or anything, I had update-to-date antivirus and ccleaner going, and everything was working perfect before hand, so I hope it's just a software problem.  ???

tomshope

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: Bad luck with Vista Recovery!
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 12:52:25 PM »
    After you install Ubuntu to a separate partition
     on your hard disk, you can definitely uninstall
     it completely by following any of the how-to's on
     this forum or elsewhere.  But if you want an
     installation that will be really easy to uninstall,
     you could try using wubi,
     http://wubi-installer.org/ .  It will allow you
     to install Ubuntu from right inside Windows, but
     still have an Ubuntu system that's essentially the
     same as what you would get by installing it to a
     separate partition using the Ubuntu CD.  wubi
     will be a tiny bit slower than a real Ubuntu
     installation, but you probably won't notice any
     difference.  And best of all, if you install Ubuntu
     using wubi, Ubuntu can be very easily uninstalled via
     the Windows add/remove programs utility.  I
     would recommend this approach if you want to have the
     assurance that Ubuntu can be uninstalled without
     a hassle.

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 02:20:10 PM »
      jojo6332 at this point I think you may have to reinstall Vista, or at least do a repair install to get Vista back in working order. Did your computer come with a Vista install disc, a set of recovery discs or perhaps a recovery partition on the hard drive?

Tomshope I don't really see how your advice is relevant since jojo6332 wants to get rid of Ubuntu...
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

jojo6332

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 02:58:14 PM »
      It didn't come with any vista recovery disks, and the one thats on the Hard Drive doesn't work. I should be getting the recovery disks from HP in a few more days. I heard that the recovery failing is a rare thing, so I wasn't sure what's causing it. Ubuntu is working ok, just a little out of my league haha. If I can just uninstall it and just let it run off the cd, that would be much better.  :-\

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 03:11:24 PM »
        You can't uninstall Ubuntu in the sense that you just press an uninstall button and it's gone. You will have to delete the partition it is installed on. You can do this from Vista when you have this up and running again.
        Having Ubuntu installed shouldn't prevent you from using the recovery discs to get Vista up and running again so I would just keep Ubuntu installed for now. (I can advice you on how to remove Ubuntu if you insist or the unexpected happens and the recovery discs and Ubuntu can't play nice together.)
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
        Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)