Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to partition a partitioned harddrive  (Read 3649 times)

ddrimmel

Topic Starter

how to partition a partitioned harddrive
    « on: April 21, 2008, 07:12:09 PM »
    I currently replaced my old hard drive with a new 350G harddrive. Before installing windows I never partitioned this into separate partitions, so

windows is installed on this single partition of 350G  and there is no unpartitioned space for me to separate space. Is it possible to shrink this

partition in order to have other drives other than C. I would like to partition just my operating system onto like a 100g partition, and my vedio,

music and images onto D with another 100g and finally a drive F with all my software like adobe, microsoft office, etc.. into about a 20g partition.

I think you get the idea. Is this possible without having to format the hard drive and having to reinstall XP? (xp home is my OS) All help is

appreciated! THanks!

:)

NOT ADMIN :P

Intermediate

Re: how to partition a partitioned harddrive
      « Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 07:34:42 PM »
      ok what software did you use to partition if in the first place.

is it possible to partition with windows?? he said that but i have never heard of it.

*Hint* re-name your c:/ as a different name to c:/ or put your OS and software on d:/ and e:/ this will eliminate most chances of getting viruses and malware/ spyware written for windows.

you will have to reformat your hard drive and set the 3 partitions up unless you are in possession of uber partitioning software which re-names files / software directories for you.

So yeah back up and the same way you set 2 partitions you will have to set 3.

Did you want the names of some partitioning software?

What version of windows are you using? A 100GB partion sound a bit like overkill i have a 40Gb partition for vista 64x It just fits and thats all thats on it. just makes it easy for regular AV scans.

ddrimmel

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 07:52:59 PM »
        I used the windows xp installation CD. before you start installation it asks to partition. I did not partition, just selected the 350G harddrive and downloaded windows.

So when I go into disk management I cannot create a new partition. So are you telling me I have to start from scratch?

And when I partition for windows I should only have 40g partition for my 64x OS?

JJ 3000

Egghead
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 01:04:33 AM »
        If you have everything backed up then it would only take one day to format and reinstall your O.S.

When you boot to the XP CD you choose the first item by pressing enter. then press F-8 to accept the license agreement.
        Setup lists all partitions that it finds on the drive, the file system of each partition, and the size of the partition. unpartitioned space is also listed. From this screen you can create and delete partitions and select the psrtition on which you want to install XP. If you plan to have MORE THAN ONE PARTITION on the drive, create only one partition at this point. The partition must be at least 2GB and have 1.5 GB free,but with a 350GB HD I would make it much larger. After the install you can use DISK management to partition.

also there is this: http://shop.symantecstore.com/store/symnahho/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.44316200/pgm.6037100/ThemeID.106300/Currency.USD
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.
        http://www.petfinder.com/