Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Word 2000 Mystery:  (Read 5395 times)

oldcousin

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Word 2000 Mystery:
    « on: April 22, 2008, 03:45:01 PM »
    Dell Dimension 2100   W/256 MB Ram. OS Windows ME.
    For some tome I have had Microsoft Word 2000 acting (in my opinion) very strangely.  It requires a very long time to load the Normal Template and then to open a document.
              The strangest thing of all is that ccSetMgr.exe must be checked in the Startup in the System Configuration Utility. It is my understanding that this is a Setup for Norton Anti-Virus so I do not get the relationship.
               The only time that I get an acceptable action is after I have deleted  Normal.dot at it's home at computer/c:/Windows/App Data/Microsoft/Templates, then it opens instantly. (ONCE)
                I have reinstalled Word and replaced the Normal Template but it does not help.
              I believe that this problem started after I had uninstalled and deleted some programs that I no longer use. Could I have deleted a shared file that caused this?
                                                         Respectfully: oldcousin

oldcousin

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Word 2000 Mystery:
      « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 01:54:28 AM »
      Dell Dimension 2100   W/256 MB Ram. OS Windows ME.
      For some tome I have had Microsoft Word 2000 acting (in my opinion) very strangely.  It requires a very long time to load the Normal Template and then to open a document.
                The strangest thing of all is that ccSetMgr.exe must be checked in the Startup in the System Configuration Utility. It is my understanding that this is a Setup for Norton Anti-Virus so I do not get the relationship.
                 The only time that I get an acceptable action is after I have deleted  Normal.dot at it's home at computer/c:/Windows/App Data/Microsoft/Templates, then it opens instantly. (ONCE)

I have reinstalled Word and replaced the Normal Template but it does not help.
                I believe that this problem started after I had uninstalled and deleted some programs that I no longer use. Could I have deleted a shared file that caused this?
                                                           Respectfully: oldcousin

Conclusion to Word 2000 Mystery:
          The problem is caused by pre-scan by Norton AV of files, resulting in delayed opening.
          The problem is solved by opening Norton AV, click options/miscellaneous and unchecking Office Plug-Ins. Since I am not operating a network I don't believe that virus protection will be compromised to any degree.
                                                                               oldcousin

cryhelp

Hopeful
      • Only the educated are free=Epictetus
        Re: Word 2000 Mystery:
        « Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 06:08:24 AM »
        Thanks for sharing how you solved the problem. ;D
        "Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education"  Mark Twain