Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SATA hard drive is working much slower than it should  (Read 3649 times)

Renold

SATA hard drive is working much slower than it should
« on: April 27, 2008, 01:00:58 PM »
Hello,

right now i have a problem that my hard disk is working really slow on the speed of about ~17MB/sec (according to windows device manager test). Yet, when i start windows in safe mode, it shows the speed of about 70 MB/sec, which is more like it.
The problem itself started right after I've upgraded some parts of my computer (bought new motherboard, CPU, ram and VGA) while leaving hard disk and OS as they were. I've tried to install all new drivers, I even used some 3rd party programs to clean old drivers from the system first, but the problem persist whatever I do.
I mean I've tried latest drivers from official website, I've tried those drivers from CD in MB package, I've even tried to let windows decide what drivers must be used but nothing changed.
I'm sure that the drivers actually were installed because device manager was reflecting those changes.
I'm sure that there were no problems shown in device manager whatsoever (no yellow ! or red crosses).
There are no errors in windows event log.
I'm sure that hard drive is working in dma mode and its reflected in sata controller driver settings.
So i guess the problem is all about drivers (after all in safe mode windows is working as intended) and I believe the problem exists because there are SATA controller drivers left from the old motherboard (Si3114r5 sata controller, although they were uninstalled using windows control panel; but i still see files named sixxxx in windows\inf folder). So basically I want to know how to make sure that those drivers work properly like they were installed on brand-new OS. I'd also love to know why it all works well in safe mode while i cant get it to work in normal mode...

And 1 more thing - I bought windows as OEM and that means that i actually don't have the disk itself. I could have tried to go to retail store and ask them for CD but since I bought it over 5 years ago i guess they wont really give it to me. So I'm in a very tricky situation right now - I cant reinstall windows and I cant use recovery system as well. I also don't really want to reinstall the whole system as well...

Configuration:

new parts, which i bought recently:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
2x DIMM DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-6400) 800MHz - 1GB each
MB MSI K9N6SGM-V (MCP-61 serial ATA controller)
GeForce 8600GTS
old parts, which I kept after buying new ones:
SATA Seagate Barracuda 120GB
DVD-RW drive

Also, my former motherboard was called asus k8n-e deluxe (Si3114r5 sata controller).

I really hope I'll get some help here, I've been trying to sort this problem for a few days by now and I'm completely out of ideas what else I can do to fix this...

Astoria

Intermediate

Re: SATA hard drive is working much slower than it should
    « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 04:24:17 PM »
    as far as I can see, there's only one solution:

get a new XP CD and reinstall Windows.

Basically what you got is a new pc, but you're using the OS from the old one.
    That's bound to give you problems.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: SATA hard drive is working much slower than it should
    « Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 07:41:54 AM »
    Try a computer repair shop in your area and see if they will sell you an XP CD for a fair price...eventually you are going to need it.
    Do you still have your liscense key ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "