Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC still has power at shut down  (Read 4446 times)

Bigheart

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    PC still has power at shut down
    « on: April 19, 2004, 06:56:12 PM »
     ??? bought bare bones system, had mother board and CPU installed, i installed 40 gig hd a floppy and new video card. loaded win xp pro. everything seem to work fine, no errors. but when i shut it down thair is still power to the system. at a lower volt. maybe a wire in the worng place, im new to pc building, and can't find help at the mobo site, it is a Tyan S1854 with a 1 gig. CPU Thank for your help

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: PC still has power at shut down
      « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 07:14:07 PM »
      Bigheart...Is your Mobo a older one.... does it have a id # 9900Y by the power supply connector ?  image  

What processor do you have installed
      What chipset do you have installed
      You say it still has power on after you shut down........does the system appear to shut down properly?

need some anwsers to the above.

dl65   ???
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Connie Lawley

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 07:34:35 PM »
       :) thanks for the reply, don't know how old the mobo is  but it is a Tyan Trinity 400, with VIA  Apollo pro 133 VT82C694x+VT82CS96B , the processor is a intel pentium IIIE
      1000 mhz coppermine. no i don't see the number, by the power supply connector. and yes it seem to  shut down   properly,  but the power is still thair but lower like a leak or a bypass some where

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 08:15:19 PM »
        Bigheart.....I neglected to ask .....how did you notice that the power wasnt turned off if it is shutting down properly?
        I would remove all the cards except the dislay adapter and see if it powers down ok . If no then unplug the power to the cd/roms....then with the cds unplugged unplug the power from the hard drive ( that should only leave the power connection to the motherboard. If you still has a leak then you know its there. Can you find out if the system was doing this before you bought it?

Hope this helps you.
        let us know
        dl65
        If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Connie Lawley

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 08:37:00 PM »
        it goes through all the steps to shuting down, then moitor goes off , but fans and hard drive are still running on low power. no i have no way to find out. it had a 10 gig hd when i got it and the video card did not work, had no floppy. or modem  o and it did have cd-rom drive.  i will try as you suggested and  post back  Thanks.