Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 98 dos Setup for the experts  (Read 5486 times)

mathew_hermary

Win 98 dos Setup for the experts
« on: February 06, 2005, 04:23:55 PM »
Okay here it is... My fiance and i got here old comp back from her mothers place and it was bogged down. It to like 5 mins to open my comp. I spent day making it run faster. I got about a 50%increase of speed. But other problems came up so we decieded to wipe everything and start over.
So i fdisked and formated my 2 drives to look like this

1) C: Pri Dos | 4918 MB | Fat32 | 100%

2) D: Pri Dos | 4863 MB | Fat32 | 50%
   E: Ext Dos | 4897 MB | Fat32 | 50%

Did i do this right, i want windows to be on C: .
So then im in dos with cdrom support and i get into F:\ drive.(Cdrom) Then as follows
F:\>setup   ---i hit enter---
---Blank line left--- Hangs for a second
F:\>   ---then returns me here again.

I am stumped with this way.
So another rout i took was entering 1 on the Start up menu(used boot disk) "Start windows 98 Setup from CD-ROM"
It then loads all of the drivers. Then i get the message:
"The Windows 98 Setup files were not found"

This is a brand new cd. and when i plug it into my XP comp, i can see the setup files; whats going on? Is there anotherway around thes problems?
Thanks for reading and helping me.
Mat

One more problem, when i boot my comp up, my memory test keeps on looping how do i fix this.

Specs. its all old but good stuff at one point!! ;)
ASUS P2L97 mother board
ASUS AGP-V3000 video
768 MB of SDRAM
Fujitsu and Caviar35100 harddrives
BIOS 1.51
If any other info is need just ask.</textarea>

mathew_hermary

Re: Win 98 dos Setup for the experts
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 07:31:23 PM »
Can anyone help out here??? :'(

Raskal

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 09:14:30 PM »
It's been awhile since I setup a Win 98 system, but if it's having trouble finding the files on the cd try running setup from the f:\win98 <dir> instead of from the root directory.

Good Luck, keep us posted

mathew_hermary

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 07:07:26 PM »
i tried that already as well i just forgot to post it in the original message. but thanks for trying to help. if anyone else knows, plzzzzzzzz let me know.

Zzyzx

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 08:20:40 PM »
It's been a long time, but Win98 as I remember has to be installed on the first partition of the first drive. (your C: drive in this case). Has the partition been marked as active and why do you have two primary partitions? Unless your're planning on a dual boot system, I would suggest you allocate the second drive as extended and then build logical partiitions.

Good luck.  8)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 08:25:02 PM by Zzyzx »

mektek

Hopeful
  • Witty comment to be advised
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 04:24:58 AM »
    It appears your computer can see your CD drive as F: but your CD doesn't appear to be reading CD's

Try typing F:\ Dir

This will list the directory of files on the CD if it is reading properly - if not it will return with a cannot read directory message

Tiggered - adj : It's been tiggered
    A computer that was working until tinkering broke it

mathew_hermary

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 08:04:22 PM »
    first the second was to be used to install win xp, then i did some research on it and it won't be compatable. Like you said about the partitions, i did exactly that last night. Thanks for the advice anyway.

When i type F:>dir i get to see all files and i can open some of them like normal. yet whe i typ setup, nothing.... :'( but thank you for trying, any other idea I WILL try. any thing.

Mr. Rivera

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 10:16:42 PM »
    Hi try to use another CD ROM or CD Drive

mathew_hermary

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 07:28:36 PM »
    problem solved... i got another cd drive from a friend for dirt cheap and all is fine now, i guess my old one was sH.. thank you all for your help. oh ya i also contacted microsoft about this issue, and they also recomended to replace my cd drive... for others information. once again thank you all for trying to help me.