Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Signal from Computer  (Read 3109 times)

Im1sneakysnake

Topic Starter

Starter

No Signal from Computer
    « on: May 16, 2008, 04:21:11 PM »
    I have an old Compaq Presario Model 7360. It started out with Windows 98 2nd edition upgraded to Windows XP. It worked fine 2 or 3 months ago.
    When I turn it on I got nothing on the old monitor I had on it so I hooked up Acer AL1912 LCD Monitor. I got the message on the monitor "no signal". I jumped to the conclusion that it was the hard drive so I purchased a  Western Digital WD800BB 80GB  7,200RPM Ultra ATA/100 and installed it. Still get no signal. Both monitors and cables work fine on my main computer (a Compaq Z 5000 5Umv11)?
    If age would make a difference when I got it Windows ME had just came out and My "computer guru" recommended I stay with the Windows 98 as they were still fixing problems with Windows ME.
    Oh when I turn it on the little green light to the right of the power button comes on also the light on the CD Drive.

SevenLZ

Rookie
      Re: No Signal from Computer
      « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 05:29:28 PM »
      The problem is with your video card.

If you have on-board video (the monitor is plugged into your motherboard through the back of the computer) and a PCI or AGP video card attached to the system, the computer will default video output to the PCI or AGP card, so if this is the case, ensure that the monitor is hooked up to the video card.

If you have a video card, and the monitor is hooked up to the video card and you still get no signal, remove the video card and reseat it. (Preferably in a different PCI or AGP slot if possible).

If after this process you get no signal, or you have only on-board video and get no signal, your video card is damaged, and you will need to purchase a new one.
      I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed, is, at a year old, a most delicious nourishing and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricasie, or a ragoust.

GX1_Man

Re: No Signal from Computer
      « Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 05:33:36 PM »
      And you could probably get a better computer with a video card in it for about the same price. It would be of that same vintage or even newer, and more mainstream. Those Compaq models were VERY particular about the RAM they could use.