Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista help, windows backs out when I open my computer, C:, D:  (Read 4078 times)

mmstttrr

Topic Starter

Starter

I am wondering if there is anything i can do to stop my computer from freezing every time i try to load a disc, check my programs, and just look at anything on my computer.  What i mean by freezing is, all the icons dissappear, the start menu disappears, and it takes a minute to load back all the icons and the window that i was originally trying to open never comes up.  I have some important things on my computer too so i would like to avoid reinstalling an os. Thanks

Also, i have been getting windows explorer popups just about every 30 seconds, they are just blank pages and they dont load anything, however, it is annoying and frustrating. 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
      Re: Vista help, windows backs out when I open my computer, C:, D:
      « Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 06:03:03 PM »
      run an anti-virus and an anti-spyware scan, and make sure your computer is clean

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 06:37:52 PM »
      Lets wait til more info that was requested is provided before just throwing out advice.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

wereit

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 01:43:01 AM »
        As patio suggested, this would be much easier if we knew which version of windows you are using, have you scanned or maintained windows update, how much ram do you have...

Most of these specs are found by right clicking on 'My Computer' and clicking on 'Properties'.  this will tell us if you need more hardware, or if you are running enough memory to effectively run your OS
        the link between MAN and GEEK

mmstttrr

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 02:07:50 AM »
          k sorry, i actually ended up giving up on vista all together.  i installed a copy of xp sp2 on the computer and now it doesnt seem to have any network capabilities.  It has an onboard lan that is hardwired into our d-link router.  I have reinstalled oses many times but never before has this happened.  when i go into device manager there is no sign of a modem or lan anywhere.  Thanks again, and sorry for the confusion.

wereit

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 02:38:50 AM »
            I would start with the basics first... unplug the modem etc from the computer.  Ensure that you reinstall software for the modem/router. Re attach modem/router.
            Check your internet protocol settings are correct, name ly obtain ip automatically (Open internet connections, right click on the lan connection icon, properties, select ipv4, properties)
            Or if you are networking then check your settings are correct.
            Also ensure that with the reinstall of xp you have not wiped out all your drivers... I know that this can happen sometimes... and it was just hilarious trying to download all that were needed.
            If xp is not detecting the modem/router still under device manager, I would be questioning the motherboard drivers more seriously....

Good luck... 8)
            the link between MAN and GEEK

mmstttrr

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 10:33:38 AM »
              Nope, that is the game i am currently playing with it.  This machine came with windows vista and it was having some pretty serious problems so i totally wiped that hd and installed xp pro over it.  i am pretty sure that none of the old drivers that came on the computer were xp capable anyway.