Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: creating a boot disk for win 98  (Read 5680 times)

Leda

creating a boot disk for win 98
« on: February 10, 2005, 03:39:41 PM »
Hi, can anyone tell me how to create a boot disk for win 98. I think this is what I need as I am trying to revive a laptop that says "invalid system disk...replace the disk, and then press any key"
I stupidly moved the system files in the root of c: and placed them in a new folder. I only have access to a coputer with win xp.
thanks!

gussery

Re: creating a boot disk for win 98
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 03:47:46 PM »

Leda

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 04:05:22 PM »
Thanks! i got the boot disk and know I get a command line...how do I get windows to start up again?

gussery

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 04:35:47 PM »
You can try typing "sys c:" at the command prompt.  This should put the system files back and hopefully you can boot to the hard drive again.

Exactly what files did you move off of the root of c: to another folder?

Gary

Leda

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 04:56:37 PM »
Hi, I have managed to get into the directory where I put all the lose files on the root of the c: drive and transfer the majority over back to c:. the problem now is getting the hidden files over. I made the folloowing command:
attrib -h *.* and 8 files came up including msdos.sys and io.sys but i don't know how to move these to c:
Can you help?
Cheers, Leda

gussery

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 05:48:07 PM »
That's what sys c: does.  It creates those files where you tell it.  Now assuming your boot disk is the same as your OS then you should have no problems once you do that.

Gary

Leda

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 04:24:36 AM »
Hi Gary,
It looking better, i actually get to see the windows 98 screen come up but it won't completely open, not even is safe mode. I get "an internal stack overflow has cused this session to be halted. Change the stacks getting in your CONFIG.SYS file, and then try again. Of course I do not have win 98 disk....
Thanks for your advice,
Leda

gussery

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 04:40:15 AM »
Leda,

Did you do the "sys c:" after you copied the files back?  If so go find your config.sys and autoexec.bat and copy them back again.

Sure would be easier if you had a 98 disk.  You can install 98 (same exact version) directly on top of 98 and not loose any settings, programs, etc. (Well almost nothing), but they need to be the exact same version.

Gary

Leda

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 05:38:54 AM »
Hi again, I am going to do my best to get hold of a 98 disk, it is just that I am far from home on vacation and not sure if I can find a disk here....
When you say copy the files again, you mean from the directory in the c drive where I stupidly placed them? I did this and no luck...or do you mean I shold copy them from the floppy boot disk? If so what command would that be?
Cheers, Leda